The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is in the white powder sold as "Chemical Chimney Cleaner"?  (Read 12489 times)

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
Hello everyone! I found this "Chemical chimney cleaning powder" and there isn't any components list or specific warning (e.g. "Contains Fluoridric Acid"). I suppose it's the same of those you can buy in the USA (or wherever you live). Do you know what's composed of? Ideas about it? Could it be useful in a home lab (if impure by isolating its compounds, idk)? Thanks in advance!

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The language looks like Italian?? Can you show the instructions for use?

If you don't know the ingredients, or its purity, it is too dangerous to use in chemistry experiments. Ingredients which don't affect its intended application in a chimney may cause dangerous side-reactions (or at least confuse the experiment you were intending to conduct).

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
The container contains a powder or granules, and you apparently burn the stuff and it is supposed to clean the chimney.

I didn't find an MSDS for the Diavolina spazzacamino.  However, I did find one for a competitor. 
Rutland Creosote Remover: Chimney Treatment MSDS
Rutland Creosote Remover: Chimney Treatment Technical Data/Description

Ingredients (for Rutland) appear to be:
The Trisodium phosphate is a strong detergent, probably designed to bind to & clean the creosote.  The Manganese Acetate is probably being used as an oxidizer to essentially burn the creosote. 

The quartz, and other ingredients are apparently inert, clay components.

Of course, different chimney cleaning products may have different formulations. 

HOWEVER, in my search, I did find an independent test of chemical chimney cleaning products. 

The conclusion of the authors is that the chemical chimney cleaning products were ineffective, and in some cases caused worse creosote buildup than the controls.

A good hot fire, and maintaining hot chimney temperatures seemed to be best at preventing creosote buildup.

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
Thanks a lot CliffordK, you're really kind for giving such a detailed reply. I found a "safety sheet"  >:( pdf about the product by the company, but it's a mere colorful advertising poster. I guess they want to keep its composition secret from competitors.  :-\

The language looks like Italian?? Can you show the instructions for use?

It just says "Throw a small amount in the chimney, it will clean etc etc".  ::) The sort of things they write on labels. nothing that may suggest what's inside. You can just identify it's a powder by shaking it.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Virtually every chemical product in the USA must have a MSDS which lists the ingredients and hazards.  Perhaps it is only required for businesses and not private consumers.  I'm not sure if retailers are required to have them.  But, a housecleaning business with employees technically would be required to have them for every cleaning product they used.

The UK and EU have similar requirements.

I think Italy's equivalent is the Scheda di sicurezza (SDS).

Usually you can find the MSDS sheets online, but I don't see them for the Davolina products.  Perhaps you could write to them and ask for a MSDS or SDS.

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
CliffordK,

I think Italy's equivalent is the Scheda di sicurezza (SDS) [nofollow].

Usually you can find the MSDS sheets online, but I don't see them for the Davolina products.  Perhaps you could write to them and ask for a MSDS or SDS.

This is the product website http://www.diavolina.eu/prodotti/diavolina-spazzacamino-2/ [nofollow]

And this is the PDF you open by clicking on the "Scheda tecnica e di sicurezza .pdf" green button http://diavolina.sobriodesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/SCHEDA-SPAZZACAMINO-CLASSICO.pdf [nofollow]

Just some ad poster (at least the one i see)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I saw that.
The MSDS in the USA has a very specific format required by law.  I assume the Italian SDS would be similar. 

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
Thanks. I tried mailing them, hoping they'll reply.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! I found this "Chemical chimney cleaning powder" and there isn't any components list or specific warning (e.g. "Contains Fluoridric Acid"). I suppose it's the same of those you can buy in the USA (or wherever you live). Do you know what's composed of? Ideas about it? Could it be useful in a home lab (if impure by isolating its compounds, idk)? Thanks in advance!
I am italian and I know that, at least up to some years ago, there were (essentially) NH4Cl inside of those kinds of products.
I have always wondered what that compund do: certainly the HCl freed with heat (NH4Cl + heat --> NH3 + HCl) can react with the carbonates/oxides in the ash transforming them in chlorides, which vaporizes more easily. But why does it clean the chimney?

--
lightarrow
« Last Edit: 03/01/2014 18:54:41 by lightarrow »

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
I found an alternative brand with the ingredient(s) shown. it is NH4Cl, thought it's not worth the purchase. 13/kg, it's probably cheaper at a chem supplier.

Offline purple82

• First timers
    • View Profile

This is what I found on Diavolina chimney cleaning powder: it sweeps chemically in a few minutes every fireplaces, operating inside its chimney flues, so fighting against some fire risk and operates best if used regularly.  On a side note, the best way to remove chimney deposits is through brushing. If deposits form quickly or are difficult to remove, the problem is fuel quality and firing technique.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length