The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why are the solar system's orbits generally on the same plane?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline sunbaked

• First timers
    • View Profile
Why aren't some planets orbits at other angles? i.e. like the Rutherford-Bohr model of an atom?

Offline sunbaked

• First timers
    • View Profile
I thought for sure someone here would know...

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why aren't some planets orbits at other angles? i.e. like the Rutherford-Bohr model of an atom?
Pluto's orbit, although not considered a true planet, is inclined several degrees off from the other planets.

And the Rutherford-Bohr model is oversimplified, planetary orbits and electron shell orientation are really not very much alike at all.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
One theory is that all of the planets formed out of a single protoplanetary disk that was planar.  So, all the planets formed in a planar orientation. 

Gravitational interactions may tend to keep them in a plane.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Maybe it has to do with a inflation, as that was happening 'in all points' as I see it, no defined origin from where it 'came' to then sort of 'spread ftl'. From that inflations point of view you might imagine the universe as a sheet, or layer. Although if it was so then I suspect it would have to make all galaxies, etc, belonging to that same 'plane/sheet/layer'. And then we need to transform that into a four dimensional, isotropic and homogeneous universe, equivalent in all directions.
=

One more point I need to make here is. If you think of a arrow as 'change', then a inflation might well have been what started that arrow. After that plane came into existence, came interactions. Those later interactions, becoming particles and matter, having a angular momentum may change this original 'order', into what we see today.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2014 19:59:41 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums