The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Purpose of Anthropology  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Himself

• First timers
    • View Profile
Purpose of Anthropology
« on: 04/01/2014 14:19:38 »
I know I may be looking at anthropology blindly, but for the life of me I can not seem to find a practical purpose from studying and documenting our early history. Is there a modern-application to this study or is the practice upheld purely because it seems a necessity?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Purpose of Anthropology
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2014 14:32:33 »
Unwritten history is more interesting than the written stuff because it is not edited by the winners. Modern anthropology is intriguing because it helps to unravel the influences of nature and nurture.

Whether or not you find it interesting, many people are curious about stuff like the Nazca Lines and Stonehenge. Unfortunately, too many Victorian "authorities" dismissed such amazing artefacts as "religious" but I'm sure if we took a more respectful view of our ancestors' intelligence and organisational capabilities we'd learn a lot about how to organise our own lives better (preferably without the malign influence of religion!) 

Offline Himself

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/2014 16:39:42 »
Thank you for the insight, that definitely makes sense! Now if only everybody could think that way, we would be able to actually see progression through that line of work

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2014 00:32:05 »
I know I may be looking at anthropology blindly, but for the life of me I can not seem to find a practical purpose from studying and documenting our early history. Is there a modern-application to this study or is the practice upheld purely because it seems a necessity?

If we know where we came from, know or mistakes getting to where we are at present,know our successes of the past, we can plan for and create a better future.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2014 00:32:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums