The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do relativistic jet follow a spiral trajectory  (Read 1118 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Do relativistic jet follow a spiral trajectory
« on: 05/01/2014 18:36:30 »
I am wondering if the relativistic jets at the poles of black holes follow this type of trajectory.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do relativistic jet follow a spiral trajectory
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2014 20:10:15 »
It appears that the relativistic jets from some galaxies have maintained a fairly straight path for thousands of years, until they run into the intergalactic medium and slow down.

Some also exhibit sudden symmetrical kinks, which may be due to black hole mergers(?)

Electrons spiral around the magnetic field lines in the jets, emitting polarised light. It is thought that the magnetic field lines themselves may be twisted into a spiral. However, at this time we can't observe a black hole close enough to make detailed observations.

Some images (But you have to separate the artists renditions from actual astronomical observations)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/01/2014 22:11:51 »
It appears that the relativistic jets from some galaxies have maintained a fairly straight path for thousands of years, until they run into the intergalactic medium and slow down.

Some also exhibit sudden symmetrical kinks, which may be due to black hole mergers(?)

Electrons spiral around the magnetic field lines in the jets, emitting polarised light. It is thought that the magnetic field lines themselves may be twisted into a spiral. However, at this time we can't observe a black hole close enough to make detailed observations.

Some images (But you have to separate the artists renditions from actual astronomical observations)

Thanks for the info. It is interesting that the magnetic field appears to spiral. It falls in line with my theory of quantum gravity. I wonder if any theories have attempted to combine the Higgs field with gravitation.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/01/2014 22:18:24 »
Scrub that about the Higgs I see that relativity precludes it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 05/01/2014 22:18:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length