The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would minimum pricing for alcohol curb problem drinking?  (Read 7911 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Would minimum pricing for alcohol curb problem drinking?
« Reply #25 on: 30/03/2014 23:02:08 »
Laws that permit a certain moderate level of alcohol while driving (say, up to .08 or [0.1]) just invite people to make those very same misjudgements, but I suppose it would be socially unrealistic to lower the limit to .02 People don't realize that after a late night out and a lot of alcohol, they probably aren't even near zero BAC until afternoon the next day. And it's much harder to judge ones intoxication coming down, than going up.
I believe personal breathalyzers are extremely cheap.  Less than the cost of about a fifth of bourbon. 

Blow into the machine.
Wait 15 minutes (without drinking), blow again. 

If the results aren't rapidly going up, and are significantly below 0.08...  then it should be fine.

The idea of a cutoff is a determination above which most drivers exhibit some impairment, and is something that can legally be used in court rather than stating that the individual wobbled while walking on the fog line (I know a person that would likely fail the fog line test while sober).

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30/03/2014 23:04:16 »
Laws that permit a certain moderate level of alcohol while driving (say, up to .08 or [0.1]) just invite people to make those very same misjudgements, but I suppose it would be socially unrealistic to lower the limit to .02 People don't realize that after a late night out and a lot of alcohol, they probably aren't even near zero BAC until afternoon the next day. And it's much harder to judge ones intoxication coming down, than going up.
I believe personal breathalyzers are extremely cheap.  Less than the cost of about a fifth of bourbon. 

Blow into the machine.
Wait 15 minutes (without drinking), blow again. 

If the results aren't rapidly going up, and are significantly below 0.08...  then it should be fine.

The idea of a cutoff is a determination above which most drivers exhibit some impairment, and is something that can legally be used in court rather than stating that the individual wobbled while walking on the fog line (I know a person that would likely fail the fog line test while sober),  not that I'd like to be in a car that he was driving.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #26 on: 30/03/2014 23:04:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length