The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I keep coconut oil runnier in the cold?  (Read 5900 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How can I keep coconut oil runnier in the cold?
« on: 17/01/2014 05:30:02 »
Neelam asked the Naked Scientists:

How can I make coconut hair oil creamier with using natural ingredients, in cold weather it become so hard and it's difficult to scoop out and in summer time become liquid.

I will appreciate your help. I am using for beauty purpose. Or if you let me know to whom I can contact.

Thanks
Neelam Mehta

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 17/01/2014 05:30:02 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How can I keep coconut oil runnier in the cold?
« Reply #1 on: 17/01/2014 07:27:37 »
You could mix your winter gel with other oils such as canola oil or olive oil. 

If you wish to stick with coconut oil, then if you get the temperature just right, you should get it so that some of the oil crystallizes and some remains liquid, and you could thus separate out the higher melting point fats from the lower melting point fats, and make summer and winter solutions.  Easiest to do if you can get the necessary ambient temperature.  With Canola, put some of your canola in the fridge, and you should see a few high melting point crystals form which you can easily filter out.  The same would be true with coconut oil, but at higher temps.

A final alternative might be transesterification as is done with biodiesel.  Essentially convert the triglycerides to glycerin (which can be used in soap), and three ester monomers.  Is that changing your oil too much?  I'd probably use ethanol/ethoxide for the transesterification if it is intended to be used on the skin.  You can follow the biodiesel formation with High MP/Low MP separation as above.

Rather than making biodiesel, you could also just add a light solvent such as ethanol or isopropanol to your oil.

Offline Aemilius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06/02/2014 02:21:40 »
Well, you could do all that cilinical laboratory procedure type stuff CliffordK was going on about or you could just warm it up a bit.... Just warming it up a bit works for me (I've been using coconut oil for years).
« Last Edit: 06/02/2014 12:51:41 by Aemilius »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 06/02/2014 02:21:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length