The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What standards should gaskmask filters have for gases like NO2, SO2?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
I was wondering the other day what standards a gaskmask filter should have for gases like NO2, SO2 and the likes, I was looking around the web but there weren't many specific stuff.

If you know any good sites that ship to EU, from the EU preferably as well that would be appreciated!
My kitchen lab is taking a turn for a bit more "serious" experiments and my next is making Nitric acid, and I really do like my lungs so a gasmask would be good.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2014 22:46:49 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gasmask filters
« Reply #1 on: 17/01/2014 08:48:55 »
Any way you can do your experiments with a fume hood rather than using a gas mask?

There are several types of masks.  The best are generally the full face masks rather than the half face masks.  The mask should be properly fitted, and without facial hair.  If you have glasses, you need either special insert glasses for the masks, or contact lenses.  The seal should be tested either by machine, or with a noxious gas.

There are several types of air supply.

Cartridge on Mask.
PAPR (powered air purifying respirator), often with hip mounted cartridges.
SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) using tanks.
Supplied Air (air hoses to mask, bringing in outside air to the work area).

I'm not sure about the cartridges.  I think they fall into particulate, and chemical/organic cartridges.  Perhaps additional ones.

Anyway, if a fume hood is appropriate for your work, then use a fume hood.

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2014 08:59:13 »
Any way you can do your experiments with a fume hood rather than using a gas mask?

I would love to have a fume hood, but unfortunately I am unable to access one. But thanks for the reply, I will look into these types of masks, I really like the idea of having a tank and breathing from that, seems pretty safe though I assume it can get costy.

Talking of fume hoods, are there "small" fume hoods? And how complicated are their installation? I assume they have need a pretty decent filter to clean all the junk and have an exhaust that leads to outside the house, but what is their cost and stuff?

I think I am kind of bad at googling, all I find are really big ones that cost a small fortune.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2014 10:26:58 »
If you aren't roaming around, then the supplied air may be better than the SCBA.  Never run out of air, and never refill tanks.

Hopefully you've been in an academic or professional lab so you are comfortable with some of the methods. 

Look up on the web "homemade fume hood".  Most appear to be vented outside, assuming you aren't in high density housing.  A range hood will have minimal filtering, otherwise it is just vented outside. The commercial fume hoods have a movable shield.  It appears as if the ones I'm seeing simply use a fixed plexiglass shield.

BE CAREFUL (AND LEGAL).

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/01/2014 16:51:28 »
Probably a good idea, supply of air would be tedious.
I am in an academic setting right now and I have been studying chemistry and going to a few places on my free time as well, I was thinking of a homemade fume hood but I was afraid if i did it wrong I could mess some stuff up IE poison my house, which would be  bad.

But I am kind of handy so I might give it a try, and on the staying legal part... It is kind of hard staying legal in Sweden, a simple distillation kit is illegal, even those made for simple 200ml vials, because it  can be used to distill alcohol.

It is kind of a shame, pretty much all chemicals that can be used for anything are illegal to buy, I mean I can understand banning phosphors and lithium but still.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2014 23:35:55 »
Certainly working in the house with a fume hood is safer with less risk of contamination than working in the house without a fume hood and using a gas mask.  "Meth Houses" can be just nasty.

Many chemicals can be purchased at the hardware store, although perhaps not in the purity you require. 

For good or bad, here in the USA E-Bay is a unique resource for all kids of odd things, although I can't guarantee purchasing habits aren't monitored.

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/01/2014 01:36:07 »
I have found chemicals here and there, some needs some refining to get the proper purity but you can make do, still it is a hassle, I understand banning chemicals directly linked to drugs but why ban chemicals that are not?

Because I can hurt myself if I do something wrong?
If that is the logic than everything considered toxic at all should be illegal.

Illogical.

And I am staying away from chemistry that involves toxic gases until I have a way of dealing with it, would't want to stink up the house now would we.

Offline MrVat7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/01/2014 23:01:09 »
Wondering if ZSM 5 can be used

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I don't know what you're doing, but if you don't have a fume hood, do it outside. If you're outside and still generating enough NO2 to be concerned for your own safety, you shouldn't be doing it.

What scale are you working on? Almost everything is safer when done smaller. If generation of lots of NO2 and or SO2 is necessary for whatever reason, see if you can bubble the exhaust from your reaction through an ice-cold sodium hydroxide solution before releasing it to the atmosphere. (You could even calculate how much NaOH is necessary to quench your fumes...)

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
I don't know what you're doing, but if you don't have a fume hood, do it outside. If you're outside and still generating enough NO2 to be concerned for your own safety, you shouldn't be doing it.

What scale are you working on? Almost everything is safer when done smaller. If generation of lots of NO2 and or SO2 is necessary for whatever reason, see if you can bubble the exhaust from your reaction through an ice-cold sodium hydroxide solution before releasing it to the atmosphere. (You could even calculate how much NaOH is necessary to quench your fumes...)

I am making Nitric acid from a Nitrate salt + sulfuric acid.
I'd rather not take any chances of inhaling anymore bad gases

And, doing things outside aren't really all that simple in most cases, I do not live in a forest and standing on my driveway with a distillation kit would only make some scared neighbor call the cops, and since it's illegal in my country to even own simple distillation equipment, and nor is owning strong acids, I would rather try and do it all inside.

But I like the idea of NaOH solution, sounds pretty simple, I will give it a look.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
If you choose to run the exhaust through something, a filter tube filled with granular NaOH would probably be sufficient, and easier to deal with the high flow your fume hood would be producing.  However, sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) would be sufficient to neutralize your acid, and much safer to be using.  Perhaps even a calcium carbonate (CaCO3).

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
If you choose to run the exhaust through something, a filter tube filled with granular NaOH would probably be sufficient, and easier to deal with the high flow your fume hood would be producing.  However, sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) would be sufficient to neutralize your acid, and much safer to be using.  Perhaps even a calcium carbonate (CaCO3).

There will also be NO2 produced, Sodium bicarbonate would't help with that would it?

Perhaps taking a tube of plastic, and having half Sodium bicarbonate and the rest NaOH would be a good idea?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Sorry, I was thinking of Nitric Acid. 

How effective is NaOH (aqueous?) at absorbing NOX?  How much are you producing?  I dont' think I'd mix NaOH and NaHCO3.  However, if you're bubbling your exhaust, you may choose to force it to be neutralized before exhausting.  Perhaps simply using a second neutral water bath.

Offline SorryDnoodle

• View Profile
There is very little gas produced, the main fume would be the gas itself but because I am distilling it most condenses before reaching the air vent, rethinking my position I probably don't need that much security when doing this.

But I am wondering, can NO2 have an effect on your eyes like Hydrogen sulfide?

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums