The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Bosons: The Single Spectra  (Read 870 times)

Offline sebology

• View Profile
Bosons: The Single Spectra
« on: 20/01/2014 16:41:17 »
I admit that this is quite far fetched, but I'd like someone to tell me categorically why this couldn't work because I've been mulling this over for a while, but this is my hypothesis:

Consider the light spectra, at first glance one might assume long wavelength radio waves and high frequency gamma rays to be unconnected but it's clear that they're all transmitted by the same force carrier, the photon.
Also, as de Broglie showed particles have wave like properties; this must hold true for other bosons too - as it does for the photon - would it be madness to ask what if there is only a single Boson and the force carriers are just examples of this same boson at different frequencies.

If this was true I'd postulate that the Higg's and Photons would be 'The Boson' at a lower frequency while the Strong and Weak nuclear forces would be 'The Boson' at a very high frequency (as they have much shorter range)   

What bothers me with why this wouldn't work is how would one go about changing the frequency of a W- Boson into a Higg's Boson or if it was a spectra surely there'd be a great many more bosons unless there was a mechanism that excluded a great deal of them.

It's only an idea, dont be too harsh when ripping it apart  :)
-Seb

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bosons: The Single Spectra
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2014 18:39:51 »
The problem would be that the different Bosons have different properties that depend on more than their wavelengths, for example charge and mass.  Moreover, you could have two different types of Bosons with the same wavelength. 

So your theory would have to postulate some more fundamental object whose wavelength somehow determines which Boson it looks like.  This is a possibility and has something in common with string theory, where everything is fundamentally proposed to be described by a fundamental "string" that's vibrating. 

The tricky part is that you have to come up with a theory that works and predicts results matching our current observations.  Moerover, to be useful scientifically, it has to predict future results so we can test it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Bosons: The Single Spectra
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2014 18:39:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums