The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Brushing one's teeth with Hibiclens (chlorhexedine)  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Caleb

• View Profile
Since 1983 I have brushed my teeth with chlorhexedine gluconate (the active ingredient in Hibiclens antimicrobial skin solution). I had read an article in a medical magazine about how a dentist working with the elderly had suggested that some of his elderly patients put a drop or two of Hibicleans into a dixie cup half filled with water, and then swish it in their mouth for a while before spitting it out. Chlorhexidine is what is known as a "persistent antimicrobial" and it continues to kill bacteria for many hours after it is first applied, much longer than alcohol, etc.

At any rate, I tried brushing my teeth with pure Hibiclens but it turned my teeth gray. I read that this is a harmless side-effect of Hibicleans over-use and a dental cleaning got rid of the problem. Now I put toothpaste on my toothbrush, put several drops of hibiclens on it, wet it a bit, and brush away.

I got used to the soapy taste quite quickly, and another thing I have noticed is that if I don't brush my teeth with Hibiclens twice a day, my mouth tastes bad, and I think this is due to the mouth bacteria returning.

Peridex prescription mouthwash was put on the market in about 1989, I think, and the active ingredient in that is also chlorhexidine. According to my dentist, the slight red staining I have on my teeth is very consistent with the slight red staining from Peridex, and it is also easy to get off with dental cleaning.

I am interested in whether brushing in this fashion will lead to fewer cardiac problems, birth anomalies, etc. Cardiac problems and birth anomalies are more likely with dental infections, etc.

Any thoughts?

Yours,

Caleb

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums