The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the gravity field produced by neutron stars?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Is there any observational evidence of a difference in the properties of gravitation produced by a neutron star?
« Last Edit: 02/02/2014 22:37:05 by chris »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is the gravity produced by neutron stars different
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/2014 00:20:00 »
A Nobel prize-winning observation of the orbits of binary pulsars produced the first observational evidence for gravity waves.

Gravity waves are thought to be produced in more familiar scenarios like a child throwing a ball, but the effect is just too weak to observe.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/02/2014 01:43:44 »
A Nobel prize-winning observation of the orbits of binary pulsars produced the first observational evidence for gravity waves.

Gravity waves are thought to be produced in more familiar scenarios like a child throwing a ball, but the effect is just too weak to observe.

I have just looked into the composition of neutron stars and I was misunderstanding the current theory which is why I asked the question. I assume then that these binaries will be the target of orbiting detectors in the future.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/02/2014 02:00:37 »
BTW I believe the best way to detect gravity waves would be to have two positively charged plates close together so there is a repulsion. Any detectable movement would be due to the gravitational waves.

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/02/2014 02:34:17 »
Actually, detection of gravitational waves appears to require devices separated by as much distance as possible. I understand that gravitational waves work not directly on objects but by rearranging the distribution of space between them. So, if a light source is separated from an observer, and a gravitational wave passes between them, the distance between them will vary, which will manifest itself as a Doppler shift although neither the source nor the observer will be aware of any change of its own position. The more mean space between them, the more pronounced the effect should be.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/02/2014 10:56:25 »
Actually, detection of gravitational waves appears to require devices separated by as much distance as possible. I understand that gravitational waves work not directly on objects but by rearranging the distribution of space between them. So, if a light source is separated from an observer, and a gravitational wave passes between them, the distance between them will vary, which will manifest itself as a Doppler shift although neither the source nor the observer will be aware of any change of its own position. The more mean space between them, the more pronounced the effect should be.

It may be matter that is compressed and not space and time. No one knows for sure.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/02/2014 21:16:59 »
two positively charged plates

If the plates are far apart (eg 1 km), the charge will provide little repulsion between the plates.
The same goes if the plates are + & -, or even just uncharged.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/02/2014 22:52:42 »
two positively charged plates

If the plates are far apart (eg 1 km), the charge will provide little repulsion between the plates.
The same goes if the plates are + & -, or even just uncharged.

This is based on a modification of the Casimir experiment. By using the vacuum energy with respect to repulsive charges in a vacuum and minor fluctuations caused by gravitation may be detectable. The plates would be arranged at the scales used in Casimir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 01/02/2014 22:52:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length