The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the Higgs field and gravity connected?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Is the Higgs field and gravity connected?
« on: 31/01/2014 22:58:17 »
Please refer here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_coupling_constant

"\alpha_G has a surprisingly simple physical interpretation: it is the square of the electron mass, measured in units of Planck mass. By virtue of this, \alpha_G is connected to the Higgs mechanism, which determines the rest masses of the elementary particles. \alpha_G can only be measured with relatively low precision, and is seldom mentioned in the physics literature."

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Re: Is the Higgs field and gravity connected?
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/2014 04:19:19 »
Well, if the Higgs field is responsible for giving particles mass, and mass is responsible for creating gravity, then the Higgs field must be connected to gravity.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/02/2014 11:03:50 »
Well if the Higgs field gives mass and mass generates gravity and they are linked then surely the gravitational field must distort the Higgs field. In which case the distorted Higgs field in turn distorts the mass in the direction of the gravitational waves. This would be one possible explanation of gravitational feedback. Curvature would be in the false vacuum of the Higgs field rather than 'space'. If the Higgs field is generally continuous then where would the 'space' be?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2014 17:25:22 »
The problem is that the Higgs field only describes how some inertial mass comes into being (some can come from bound energy--for example, a proton gets a lot of its mass from the binding energies of its constituent quarks).  The force of gravity depends on gravitational mass.  So far as we can tell the two are equivalent, but we don't have a mechanism that explains why they're equivalent.  Presumably, if you figured out the mechanism, you'd know how the two are related and what relationship the Higgs field has to gravity.  It would probably also answer a lot of questions about quantum gravity.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2014 00:46:28 »
The problem is that the Higgs field only describes how some inertial mass comes into being (some can come from bound energy--for example, a proton gets a lot of its mass from the binding energies of its constituent quarks).  The force of gravity depends on gravitational mass.  So far as we can tell the two are equivalent, but we don't have a mechanism that explains why they're equivalent.  Presumably, if you figured out the mechanism, you'd know how the two are related and what relationship the Higgs field has to gravity.  It would probably also answer a lot of questions about quantum gravity.

I am reading up on quark colour at the moment and working through the progress of discovery of particles in the standard model. I am not even looking at supersymmetries as I don't want to go there yet. The atomic weak and strong forces and gluons are of particular interest at the moment. I am still trying to piece together 3 virtual particle interactions and make them work.

P.S. I am looking for reading material on gluon/quark colour change. If anyone can point the way it would be appreciated.

I keep coming back to instantons from various directions. I don't know if this quark mass splitting is important yet.
« Last Edit: 03/02/2014 02:03:11 by jeffreyH »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2014 00:46:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums