The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Nature of Human behaviour and understanding  (Read 2834 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
The Nature of Human behaviour and understanding
« on: 07/08/2006 20:38:06 »

The nature of Human behaviour.

People are extraordinary. Simple to view but impossible to understand.

The nature of language is so complex that it is so easy for misunderstandings to occur when intentions have only been good.

I struggle sometimes to believe that there will ever be a peace in this world as it is human nature to deceive, to calculate forced impressions and to manipulate others to believe in a cause or a philosophy.......That is of course my cynical approach.

Even without hostile intentions though , misunderstandings inevitably happen and a disagreement can lead to an argument, a hostility …even a war.

Even the best diplomats can not find a resolution…it takes (for the diplomat) an almost impossible task to  step in the middle , to completely understand where all parties are coming from and then…the even more harder task is to get those parties to try and see reason and to forgive the nature of the opposing side.

One must choose your words with incredible accuracy else they will be open to more than one interpretation. The goal is to get a ratification on all sides and to then doubly make sure that what everyone is agreeing to is the same thing that the others are agreeing to, and to get them to see that too.

I have found that words on a  screen, like this very text that you are reading  for instance…can be void of the real meaning……………...without knowing me, seeing me, hearing my voice and reading my body inferences, that though this text does have meaning, that it is still cold, without sensation…void of the essence of the emotion of the moment. These very words are open to your own personal method of perception and your own way of processing that information to an agreeable degree that I am able to validate that you have understood my intentions correctly.

This thread may or may not be deemed a topic of a scientific nature….perhaps a study into the science of understanding..

With all the best will in the world a person can be seen to be doing what they think is the right thing but still be found to be trodden on from whom they thought was their friend.

The nature of understanding another person is so introspective that how do you think it is possible that opposing sides of an extreme fundamental indelible perspective ,can be ever made to adjust their points of view ?...it seems an impossible task to behold.

Enlightenment and harmony is the way to peace in this world… (it's one way)…I for one don’t think it will happen any day soon. …and whilst people seem fit to react incorrectly to a purely innocent motive then I doubt it will ever happen.

Whajafink ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 07/08/2006 21:09:28 by neilep »

another_someone

Re: The Nature of Human behaviour and understanding
« Reply #1 on: 07/08/2006 22:03:44 »
Very vague and complex question.

Firstly, the nature of chaos is that it works best with the simplest component parts.

More specifically, what we view of either a single human being, let alone a collection of humans, may be superficially a unified entity, but what you actually see is the product of many competing internal processes.

As you say, a person can be understood when face to face a lot more than you can understand by the written word.  But the written word only addresses one part of the brain, whereas a face to face meeting will stimulate far many more regions of the brain, and so reflect far more of the complex parts of the speakers brain that are all competing to send their own, sometimes contradictory, messages.

So too, when you talk about a diplomat trying to find agreement between two sides; but the problem is that the diplomat is talking to two representatives of the two sides, but never to the complex variety of competing interests within each side.

If Tony Blair signs a treaty in the name of the British people, but for whom would he be signing such a treaty on behalf of?  Even if you were to agree with the treaty he has signed, would I (or visa versa)?  How does a diplomat deal with the diversity of opinion within each population?  Normally, he looks at who can deliver on promises – i.e.  if Tony Blair can sign a treaty, and can demonstrate that he can subdue any opposition within his own population against the treaty, then the treaty stands.  If Tony Blair signs such a treaty, but such a treaty then instigates such internal opposition that he cannot deliver on the treaty, then the diplomat has failed to deliver a workable treaty.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2006 22:36:24 »
I certainly am not an expert in this field and without writing another 100,000 words the terminology is most certainly vague but geared towards a complex subject.
in fact, I did originally state that this was a thread-in-progress and so the statement above would have been subjected to chop and change...but then decided to just leave it be.

I am not looking for any specific answers, perhaps discussion but mainly it was to make the point of the nature of the diversity in all it's many intricacies of the ability for humans to quite easily misunderstand each other.

Certainly, a diplomat may be seen to negotiate with representatives...he can not be expected to listen to each and every citizens point of view and is therefore subject to the the ' general ' feeling of what is ' generally ' accepted by the majority.......with a hope that somewhere along the lines a common ground can be found.

There are certainly advantages too to negotiation/discussion done on paper rather than face to face...both have their pluses and minuses but on matters of national and international importance then face to face I think , with an arbiter or diplomat as a go-between is essential.

Even at a local level, in matters of personal triumph perhaps in a  job or on a more personal level I feel then that the meeting of people is superior when possible to the sterile conduit that is a PC or alike

If one does NOT have the opportunity to even speak on the phone at the very least then the necessity for understanding is even more paramount would you not agree George ?...Our relationship for instance.....in other threads for instance I have misunderstood and been misunderstood. Was it really my inability to explain it correctly or your failure to recognize my meanings ?

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2006 00:35:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
I am not looking for any specific answers, perhaps discussion but mainly it was to make the point of the nature of the diversity in all it's many intricacies of the ability for humans to quite easily misunderstand each other.

I will maybe try and answer the rest later.

For now, I will just say that the problem is as much about the ability of humans to misunderstand themselves, let alone to misunderstand each other.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/08/2006 01:22:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by neilep

I will maybe try and answer the rest later.

For now, I will just say that the problem is as much about the ability of humans to misunderstand themselves, let alone to misunderstand each other.

George

Amen to that !...Just makes the whole thing that much more abstract and perplexing to comprehend.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2006 08:16:17 »
 I don't know if I am comming close at all on this, but, I think we all can tell of many times when we have spoken to others on the net or mail, and because of lack of facial expressions, voice patterns and tones it is sometimes very hard to be clear about what we actually are saying or intending to say. As a people, I think we rely heavily on body language and facial expressions, vocal tones and fluctuations in syntax to fully complete much of what we say when we are talking. When you speak over the net or through the different mails, you loose a good amount of what you say as it becomes much dryer, perhaps even more literal then what one might wish to be saying. Whereas if one had that spoken word or glint from an eye our even some body language, ones meaning might be much less serious or more so depending on the physical elements that usually go along with a conversation one has face to face with another person. Unless one is extremely careful, or perhaps not as articlately gifted , one could accidently convey a message that could be misinterpreted by another as meaning something totally different then one had intended. This happens to me alot. I find myself having to ask for clarification all the time. Sometimes what I see as serious is meant as something light hearted, and without the wink or the body language, I cannot tell the real intention of the words. It is sometimes really hard!!!

Karen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2006 18:03:38 »
Good points Karen.

When reading each others posts and emails we apply our own emotional nuances onto the text....and I am sure that for a good percentage of the time our perception of the tone is accurate as we follow instinctual guidelines in processing the inferences in the vernacular. ...of course the text itself is the biggest clue but some words or phrases can be unintentionally ambiguous and not realised so until the damage is done.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2006 18:03:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums