The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Worlds largest grasshopper Anyone!!!!!  (Read 3861 times)

Offline stevestheory

• First timers
    • View Profile
Worlds largest grasshopper Anyone!!!!!
« on: 03/02/2014 20:46:54 »
I have an incredible story to tell,based on an actual event.Sometime in the early 1980's,i was in Indianapolis,IN.I was about 6,7 yrs of age or so.We had gone over to my Aunts house over in the Mars hill area.We had ,upon arrival,all went inside and greeted my aunt.That is my mother,and my sibling brothers&sisters.My cousins weren't there,so i asked my aunt and mother if i could go play in the yard,which they said was fine.So out i went,alone. The yard was fenced in.i had walked to the side of the yard and they had a little red tricycle,the metal kind with the foot pad on the rear axle,white seat.and on the frame bar that connected rear assembly to the handle bar and front wheel,i was startled a bit 'cause i seen an unbelievable sight,which i almost screamed,then caught myself,and thought"its only a toy with suction cups on the bottom of it and one of my cousins stuck it to their bike".So very cautiously,i tiptoed over to it,it did not move at all.I then,note"i was very scared"reached out with my forefinger to poke this thing ,to confirm that it was truly fake.Well,i poked its top mandible and it moved!!!!!!!.I flew off histerically!!!!and ran back inside screaming bloody murder!!!!!!Right away everyone in the house with me came running outside to see this thing.It was gone off the tricycle,missing.I was about to be a laughing stalk,and called a fibber,then all of a sudden!!!!!!THERE IT IS!!!!!!   and in the grass about 10 ft away  everyone was freaked out,and in a screaming type histerical fright we was at awh!       what i saw was a very ,very,flouresent green grass hopper.It was the full length of that bar ,from white seat to handle bar.It looked exactly like a regular 1in 1 1/2in grass hopper.except this was so much larger.I know that as a child things are larger than life  and i hate how this story ends but this is somewhat its size as i tell u how this factual story ends.We was all scared and getting around this thing caused it to react and try to fly away,or it would fly up and land 10 12 ft away so we tried killing it,which i hated .It would have been a scientific wonder of the known insect world,unless someone else has answers.some one said get a brick,so i guess u could fill in the rest......This thing was an 1in the length more on both ends of a regular red brick,and the full width of it.Solid in color,,flourecent green,,its wings were 85% its length,,,just like a blowed up version of a grasshopper.I have done some searching over the yrs,,,being 30some yrs ago,and have never heard of or seen anything EVER!!!!like this     ??????? Itwould have tookin one heckofa pin to of pinned this in ones collection. Now with internet,,let me tell my story......Has any one ever heard of such a thing existing?????? Replies,,,,,,,PLEASE...... 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds largest grasshopper Anyone!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2014 23:31:59 »
Praying Mantises are found in North America ...

http://bugman123.com/Bugs/
« Last Edit: 03/02/2014 23:34:26 by RD »

Offline stevestheory

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2014 21:38:46 »
thanks for the reply,i know about them,but this one was not.It did not hike up at its abdomen.This was exactly in every way like a grasshopper,just alot bigger.It did not have a long neck then a head,the body was one piece,and thick throughout its length.All i know is this was no praying mantis.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2014 21:38:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums