The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: clear this up: NYLON  (Read 3425 times)

Offline jezza

• View Profile
clear this up: NYLON
« on: 08/08/2006 13:21:12 »
give me evidence as to why it is so called, my bro is convinced cos of the ny-london thing, i say otherwise, help me prove him wrong!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: clear this up: NYLON
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/2006 13:23:34 »
What a great question ?

Isn't Nylon an American invention though ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline jezza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/2006 13:27:37 »
yes, it is, its really pissing me off, aperently its called nylon cos it could stretch from new york to london, i googled it, not a single article i can find says that nylon mean new york-london, they all say nothing about it or its false

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2006 13:31:34 »
New York to London sounds really clever. But it also sounds like the kind of thing which could also be just an urban myth.

lets hope we get the answer.

Nice one Jezza.....I can understand your frustration !

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 08/08/2006 13:51:11 »
The NewYork-London explanation is a myth: cos Stephen Fry said so on the BBC TV programme QI :). http://www.qi.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/qi/

"Etymology
In 1940 John W. Eckelberry of DuPont stated that the letters "nyl" were arbitrary and the "on" was copied from the names of other fibers such as cotton and rayon. A later publication by DuPont (Context, vol. 7, no. 2, 1978) explained that the name was originally intended to be "No-Run" ("run" meaning "unravel"), but was modified to avoid making such an unjustified claim and to make the word sound better. The story goes that Carothers changed one letter at a time until DuPont's management was satisfied. But he was not involved in the nylon project during the last year of his life, and committed suicide before the name was coined. There is another story (repeated in James Burke's TV series Connections) that another one of the names considered was to be Duparooh for DUpont Pulls A Rabbit Out Of a Hat. Nylon was never trademarked. Another popular myth is that "Nylon" stands for "Now You Lousy Old Nippons". Yet another explanation is that it stands for "New York-London", the source of the chemists working on the materials sythesis, but there is no evidence that nylon was named after New York and London."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon

« Last Edit: 08/08/2006 13:53:31 by ROBERT »

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/08/2006 13:52:05 »
Well, this is one of those linguistic questions I was praying for.  And yes, the New York - London story is just an urban legend.
When nylon appeared on the scene it was not the first synthetic fibre at all.  Nylon can be dated to 1935 or '36, Rayon for example goes back to 1910.  (Rayon is not so much a synthetic fibre as an artificial fibre).
The name "rayon" was coined by analogy with coton (Rayon is an artificial cellulosic fibre, coton is a natural cellulosic fibre), and by the 1930's many manufacturers had artificial and synthetic fibres with names on "-on"; in fact most of the more recent types also have names like that.
Of course, this does not tell you anything about the "nyl"-part of the name.  But "ny" could simply be an alternative to "neo", because, well "nylon" does sound a lot better than "neolon" would.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08/08/2006 16:16:04 »
EXCELLENT STUFF ROBERT & ERIC

THANK YOU

Offline jezza

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/08/2006 00:20:49 »
hmm, you raise some interesting points, thanks peeps

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 09/08/2006 00:20:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums