The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Professional Science Discussion Forums?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline gabrielle_s_joyce

• First timers
    • View Profile
Professional Science Discussion Forums?
« on: 08/08/2006 15:30:38 »
Hello!

Ive been searching the web for discussion groups that cater to the scienctist community (google...yahoo), but can't find much.  Besides this site, can anyone recommend online discussion forums where professional scientists gather to discuss research/work/field ?

Thanks
Gabrielle

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Professional Science Discussion Forums?
« Reply #1 on: 08/08/2006 16:18:14 »
Hi Gabrielle,

Welcome Gabrielle....

Personally I can not think of any but I sure there must be some.

Hopefully some new referrals will be forthcoming.

in the mean time, why not start a thread about what you wish to discuss....you never know...you may be pleasantly surprised.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/2006 16:30:25 »
This may be a problem !  I do not think companies will encourage their researchers to discus their findings on a forum.  As a retired scientist I can go on any forum, but I do not have acces even to my own files of my working days - only to the things that have been published.
There are organisations like TAPPI (technical association of the pulp and paper industry) that have regular meetings and seminars and that may have discussion forums in order to keep up with modern times.  But even if such associations support a forum, you may have to be a paying member to participate.
By typing in "rheology + forum" (on Google) I found referencers to "Malvern's rheology forum" (but no access to it) and this link, providing me with an sample of such a forum.
http://jfi.uchicago.edu/~tten/Jamming.html
You can try this with other branches of science, I mean "...logy + forum".  Maybe you will be more succesful.
Lots of luck !

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/08/2006 18:46:59 »
Hi Gabrielle (again)

By Googling I found you another one :  http://forums.hypography.com

I have not checked wether it is more "professional" than this one, that 's completely up to you.

Lots of luck, again,

Eric

Offline thayo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/08/2006 01:16:09 »
eric, i beleive with a pocket of science-cautious souls on this site we could proffer best solutions through contributions and suggestions. Also, people like you who had been active as scientist as claimed can assist with necessary information targetted at solving a problem.
I as well decry that the works of scientists would be discouraged from being put across since they are likely to be in the hands of organisations or ...... i am of the strong believe that scientists are free thinkers and information gotten over the years can not elude them so easily.So, in respect of this i have question to ask in my next posting watch out..

lets keep trying the untried since the birth of science innovations have been like  toy but their impacts have rocked the world

Offline thayo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/08/2006 01:25:21 »
gabrielle, let the cat of the bag and lets do it right

lets keep trying the untried since the birth of science innovations have been like  toy but their impacts have rocked the world

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: 09/08/2006 08:28:27 »
www.biology-online.org is one I know of.

another_someone

« Reply #7 on: 09/08/2006 08:43:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mjhavok
www.biology-online.org is one I know of.

Looking briefly at the site, it looks like the target audience is not much different in the level of knowledge and commercial application than the user base we have here.  It even promotes on its home page a 'biology tutorial' scarcely would seem to be relevant if the target user base was expected to be professionals well versed in the basics of the subject.

George

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11/08/2006 16:15:34 »
quote:
Besides this site, can anyone recommend online discussion forums where professional scientists gather to discuss research/work/field ?

Why don't you give a chance to THIS forum?
Where are your questions?
Shoot!
iko

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 11/08/2006 16:15:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length