The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do we generate artificial gravity in space?  (Read 7920 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How do we generate artificial gravity in space?
« on: 08/08/2006 20:51:03 »
Space is great...it's well big and there's lots of it....enough to go round for everyone !

But weightlessness is not conducive to a happy metabolism.

What are the latest ideas for an efficient anti-grav spaceship ?

Is spinning the one and only way ?...and is it currently a viable technology ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 01/07/2008 11:37:34 by BenV »

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2008 22:06:44 »
It's difficult to imagine any practical alternatives to spinning that don't require either huge masses or even greater (c^2) concentrations of energy.  Large masses aren't a good idea for things that move and to get high enough concentrations of energy you need to start looking at anihilating an amount of mass that would produce G directly, which not only brings you back accelerating lots of redundant mass to move anywhere, but also issues of control and containment.

Spinning is cheap and efficient - the only real overhead is that the structure needs to be stressed for it.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2008 08:35:07 »
And spaceships look way cooler when they're spinning.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/07/2008 13:30:19 »
Neil, you asked about an "anti-grav" spaceship but I see this has been interpreted, from your lead up comments, as a way of introducing gravity where there is none. Nobody knows how to make "anti gravity" so I will make the same assumption that you mean a means of making artificial gravity. Well spinning is one way and has the advantage that it will keep going in a controlled way with very little energy input. This is good for space stations and for long space flights (say to Mars) with current technology. It is also theoretically possible to create gravity by accelerating at "g" for half your journey, turning round, then decelerating with "g" for the other half. We have not got the technology to do this, but it is theoretically possible. Spinning is the only viable option at present.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2008 13:52:16 »
In prewar magazines space stations were always depicted doughnut shaped and rotating but I don't think any one has actually been built like that.
If gravity is thought of as being mediated by Gravitons the impossibility of anti-gravity shields soon becomes apparent, light years of lead are required to stop Neutrinos and Gravitons are postulated as being much less massive.
« Last Edit: 09/07/2008 15:38:38 by syhprum »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2008 14:26:39 »
It's difficult to imagine any practical alternatives to spinning that don't require either huge masses or even greater (c^2) concentrations of energy.  Large masses aren't a good idea for things that move and to get high enough concentrations of energy you need to start looking at anihilating an amount of mass that would produce G directly, which not only brings you back accelerating lots of redundant mass to move anywhere, but also issues of control and containment.

Spinning is cheap and efficient - the only real overhead is that the structure needs to be stressed for it.

Gosh !!...nearly two years !..and finally and answer comes from LeeE

Thank you for this kind response.

I imagine the generational ships of the future may well have spinny sections that allow for daily gravity ' treatment ' then !.....gosh !...they will be vast !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2008 14:27:24 »
And spaceships look way cooler when they're spinning.

Yayyy !!....I wonder if they'll have ' go faster' stripes ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/07/2008 14:31:54 »
Neil, you asked about an "anti-grav" spaceship but I see this has been interpreted, from your lead up comments, as a way of introducing gravity where there is none. Nobody knows how to make "anti gravity" so I will make the same assumption that you mean a means of making artificial gravity. Well spinning is one way and has the advantage that it will keep going in a controlled way with very little energy input. This is good for space stations and for long space flights (say to Mars) with current technology. It is also theoretically possible to create gravity by accelerating at "g" for half your journey, turning round, then decelerating with "g" for the other half. We have not got the technology to do this, but it is theoretically possible. Spinning is the only viable option at present.

ooops !!

Thank You graham.d

You are right !....I made a social punctualtional faux pas when I asked that question a couple of years ago....I did in fact mean ' Artificial Gravity ' and I thank you for understanding that that was what I meant.

I also appreciate your kind comments which serves to corroborate the other answers.Spinning it is then !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/07/2008 14:34:05 »
In prewar magazines space stations were always depicted doughnut shaped and rotating but I don't think any one has actually been built like that.
If gravity is thought as being mediated by Gravitons the impossibility of anti-gravity shields soon becomes apparent, light years of lead are required to stop Neutrinos and Gravitons are postulated as being much less massive.

Thank You syhprum   I wonder why a small spinning thingy, perhaps capable of just holding one person has not been tried and tested ?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09/07/2008 14:46:54 »
So I Am assuming that the graviton at the fair works on the same notion.. spinning? Does the fair one I enjoy so much actually causes gravity by spinning eh..? So when you are standing against the wall you won't fall out when it spins.. the force of the gravity pins you against the wall.. Is this  the same notion??

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09/07/2008 15:49:03 »
Karen W

No this is not gravity but the centripetal force similar to that which acts on you when you go into orbit and prevents you falling to the ground.
As you go round in the fairground device your direction of travel constantly deviates from a straight line and this results in the pressure on your back from the wall. 

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #11 on: 09/07/2008 18:41:26 »
neilp:  Heh - I was just trying to clear some of the old posts.

Making spinny things smaller means you have to spin them faster to get the same effect but the trouble with doing this is that coriolis forces start to become a real factor whenever you, or something moves i.e. don't try to pour a cup of tea in your little spinny pseudo-gravity.  A one man small spinny thing will also need a counterweight, but I guess you could use some of the spacecraft systems for this, as long as you stay where you are and don't move around too much - you'd have to stay in the G-spot all the time, unless you can keep spinning it up and down as required and adjust whatever thrust you're using so that it keeps acting through the CoG.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09/07/2008 18:52:23 »
It has been suggested that two Apollo sized capsules be used joined together by a long cable rotating about each other, this would work fine until you wanted to make a landing.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 09/07/2008 18:52:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length