The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Farting makes you heavier!  (Read 5495 times)

Offline diegostation

• View Profile
Farting makes you heavier!
« on: 09/08/2006 07:14:10 »
Well I assume that after an experiment I did, I calculated my weight, then I had a big, long fart coming out of me and calculated my weight again, I was a pund heavier!! how about that? is there a possibility gas in the body makes one lighter like a balloon?

another_someone

Re: Farting makes you heavier!
« Reply #1 on: 09/08/2006 07:32:15 »
The main gas in a fart is methane, and this is lighter than air at ordinary atmospheric pressure.  If one places methane under pressure, or in solution, it will increase its density, and so it may well possibly be in a more dense form when within the intestines than it is when expelled from the intestines.

Ofcourse, there are lots of other substances expelled, including many heavier and more pungent substances, and I cannot say how much they might contribute to the overall mass of what is expelled.

Without more detailed experiment, I really would not like to speculate as to the actual likely density of matter residing in the intestines before being expelled by a fart.

George

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/08/2006 18:00:25 »
science cant explain this. this must be the work of "intelligent design"

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2006 20:47:08 »
"Of course, there are lots of other substances expelled..."

Like what for instance?

P.S. Why do farts smell different from person to person?
« Last Edit: 11/08/2006 20:47:46 by FuzzyUK »

Offline nexus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/08/2006 04:38:39 »
How did you "calculate" your weight? Was there a long time in between? Did you try again?

Offline diegostation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/08/2006 12:50:07 »
The time betweens the two calculations was about 10 seconds, I used my bathroom's scale wich is electronic, and I've tried it many times on the same moment to see if it alwais calculates the same weight and it always does, so the gas inside us should affect our weight in some way

Offline RMorty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16/08/2006 05:57:09 »
Well air in your body is hot so it may provide some lift like a hot air balloon. But you would really have to blow a big son of a bitch out of your ass for that to make a difference.

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01/09/2006 13:16:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by diegostation

Well I assume that after an experiment I did, I calculated my weight, then I had a big, long fart coming out of me and calculated my weight again, I was a pund heavier!! how about that? is there a possibility gas in the body makes one lighter like a balloon?
Assuming an air density ~ 1.3 Kg/m^3, even if the gas expelled was as light as hydrogen, it turns out (please, controll my calculations) that you should have expelled ~ 350 liters of it!
I' more inclined to think that your scale doesn't work very well.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2006 13:19:56 by lightarrow »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 01/09/2006 13:16:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums