The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I want a microscope but ????  (Read 1336 times)

Offline berty

• First timers
    • View Profile
I want a microscope but ????
« on: 09/02/2014 20:00:18 »
I bought a telescope some 30 years ago due to weather and cold my two hundred Plus has not been used much.
I have always wanted a microscope i bought a small one you plug in the computer from maplin.  Disapointing to say the least.    Can any one tell me what to get. 
Berty

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I want a microscope but ????
« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2014 20:10:24 »
The first thing you need to decide is what you wish to do with the microscope.  And, perhaps your budget.

The two big classifications will be "dissecting microscopes" and the normal slide microscopes. 

The dissecting microscopes will be easier to use, and perhaps great for kids.  The slide microscopes would give you higher magnification and generally better lighting (assuming your specimen can be back lit). 

You might choose to hunt down a good used medical school or research trinocular microscope with a camera.

I suppose one occasionally finds 50 year old children's science chemistry sets for sale.  I've never been impressed with the monocular microscopes and mirrors for light, but they are functional.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2014 21:10:27 by CliffordK »

Offline strata

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2014 14:29:09 »
I'm a professional microscopist so I'm a bit spoilt with 'scopes but if you want a slide microscope I'd look at a Novex junior - under a hundred quid and the optics are OK ( but not brilliant )

For low mag stuff just for messing around, the Trekker field microscope is both cheap and nice to use - good for larger pond life and leaves etc. I'd stay well clear of 'toy' microscopes - they never perform particularly well.

My best personal microscopes are ones I've salvaged from skips of lab equipment and restored but the first I bought for myself was about 400 quid - but do you really want phase contrast and other frills? 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2014 14:29:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums