The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Magnets distort the earths magnetoshpere  (Read 2300 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
Magnets distort the earths magnetoshpere
« on: 20/02/2014 03:40:30 »
Do strong magnets distort the earths magnetic field? What I mean is, the earth is a big magnet, so if you get a super-powerful neodymium magnet can you get the earth's magnetic field to distort? Can you get the earths magnetic field to become more condensed (more powerful) around such a magnet?

I ask this question because I'm building a "super-magnet" out of a superconducting coil, this magnet will be able to produce a magnetic field of over 12 Tesla, I'm making it so that I can levitate myself over 5 feet in the air via superconductor quantum levitation, But I wonder If my magnet will attract the earths magnetic field so much that it will condense the earth's magnetic field around the super-magnet enough to allow the superconductor to levitate within the earths magnetic field.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Magnets distort the earths magnetoshpere
« Reply #1 on: 20/02/2014 07:39:27 »
Fear not! There are plenty of human-size 3T magnets around (we use them routinely for MRI) and 8 - 10T supercons are a standard laboratory toy. So far, no devastating influence on the magnetosphere (as any true believer will tell you, hurricanes are caused by CO2, atheism, and gay marriage).

Good luck with your project. Getting a supercon to work above 10T is quite a feat.   

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/02/2014 09:08:04 »
Apparently 16T is required to magnetically levitate a frog ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Nobel_Prize
« Last Edit: 20/02/2014 09:13:48 by RD »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/02/2014 09:29:57 »
Earth's magnetic field has a strength of 25 to 65 microtesla. So it won't have much influence in the vicinity of a 3 to 12 Tesla magnetic coil.

If you have some iron in or on your body, it is the superconducting magnet that will injure you; Earth's magnetic field won't noticeably change the outcome.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2014 11:13:53 »
You can condense the earth's magnetic field locally with any lump of ferromagnetic material, but not a superconductor.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 20/02/2014 11:13:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums