The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Double Slit Experiment (With Observer) - Small Satellite Platform  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Sharan Asundi

• First timers
    • View Profile
Folks,

I'm new to this forum and would like to seek your inputs/suggestions/advice on conducting the famous double slit experiment with an observer on a small satellite (SmallSat) platform. We'd like to propose a CubeSat mission to conduct the experiment in space. The form factor of the satellite can either be 30x10x10 cm or 30x20x10 cm and we need to fit the entire experiment and the satellite bus (electronics, power, communications, etc) in this volume. As experts in this field, can you please share your thoughts with regards to:

(i) The implications/interest-level of conducting such an experiment in space.
(ii) Suggestions for apparatus (single/quasi-single photo/electron emitter, detector and observer), which can fit in the proposed volume (~ 30x10x10)

Thank you all,
Sharan

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Since photons are scarcely affected by gravity, what would you expect to observe that isn't already known?   

Offline Sharan Asundi

• First timers
    • View Profile
We'd like to experiment if the observer effect on the behavior of the photons/electrons is going to be any different. The peculiar behavior of the photons/electrons to the presence of an observer is a mystery and cannot be explained.

1. Would it be worth the effort to conduct this experiment in space and expect to understand the observer effect from afar?

2. Could the experiment behave any different in such an inert environment?

What are your thoughts?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I don't see any advantage of doing the experiment in space ,
 but googling the phrase "double slit experiment in microgravity" gets a few hits.

e.g. http://jilawww.colorado.edu/events/2013/fundamental-physics-quantum-matter-microgravity
« Last Edit: 20/02/2014 20:04:00 by RD »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

1. Would it be worth the effort to conduct this experiment in space and expect to understand the observer effect from afar?

It would be a lot simpler to do a double-slit experiment where the interference pattern is automatically recorded on photographic film, then develop only a random sample of the films. If they all show the same pattern then either there is no effect that requires an observer, or the photons were able to predict a random sequence several hours ahead. I rather think Taylor solved that problem over 100 years ago.     

Offline Sharan Asundi

• First timers
    • View Profile

It would be a lot simpler to do a double-slit experiment where the interference pattern is automatically recorded on photographic film, then develop only a random sample of the films. If they all show the same pattern then either there is no effect that requires an observer, or the photons were able to predict a random sequence several hours ahead. I rather think Taylor solved that problem over 100 years ago.     

Do you have any suggestions for capturing the interference pattern on a optical screen and transferring that information as data? Can you please point me to a resource, which details Taylor's experiment? Do we need a single (quasi-single) photon/electron source to validate the observer effect?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment is worth reading. It describes and refers to a number of experiments with different receptors.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length