The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Scratch my back  (Read 10186 times)

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
Scratch my back
« on: 11/08/2006 20:41:35 »
Why is it that when someone else scratches my back it feels far better than anything I can do myself no matter how much TLC I put into it?

Fuzzy
« Last Edit: 11/08/2006 20:42:03 by FuzzyUK »

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Scratch my back
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2006 08:36:44 »
I have always wondered that myself! It is truely wonderful and satisfying when someone else scratches it.:D:D:D But when I do it myself it feels like I never really get that satisfaction.:( So wierd, but a good Question!:) Maybe because or bodies are so sensitive to the human touch that it just feels good! Like a child craves its mothers touch. Perhaps someone can tell us both!!

Karen

ROBERT

« Reply #2 on: 14/08/2006 16:27:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by FuzzyUK

Why is it that when someone else scratches my back it feels far better than anything I can do myself no matter how much TLC I put into it?

Probably for the same reason most people cannot tickle themselves:-

" Another odd phenomenon with tickling is that, when a person touches the previously mentioned bodyparts on their own bodies, most people measure no tickling sensation - since the movements of the tickle are performed by the person, there is no unexpected motion on the skin and so the reflex is not activated. However, a small percentage of people have found it possible to tickle themselves."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tickling
« Last Edit: 14/08/2006 16:30:10 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/08/2006 20:05:02 »
Wholeheartedly agree with the difficulty to tickle oneself and the fact that getting someone to scratch an itch is infinitely superior to DIY scratching !!

I wonder if it has something to do with the receiver of the said scratchee's scratching is in a complete and total mode of receiving  !!

I will put this to practise by getting wifey to scratch my balls tomorrow morning !...I will report here the result.

It's a good job I don't have piles at the moment !! :)

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 15/08/2006 12:40:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Wholeheartedly agree with the difficulty to tickle oneself and the fact that getting someone to scratch an itch is infinitely superior to DIY scratching !!

I wonder if it has something to do with the receiver of the said scratchee's scratching is in a complete and total mode of receiving  !!

According to the Wikipedia page (above):-
" Forced laughter by tickling can also be found in the sexual fetish world of BDSM. Those who gain sexual pleasure from tickling and/or being tickled are known to have a tickling fetish. Those who seek tickling out, and who gain pleasurable excitement from tickling and/or being tickled are known to have a "Tickling Fixation". Tickle fetishes involving "erotic tickling" (frequent breaks, safewords, sensual movements), using fingers to tickle areas such as the ribs or feet, kneegling, using the tongue to lick the face, soles of the feet and toes or items such as feathers and brushes to produce tickling sensations as part of erotic foreplay. "

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 17/08/2006 01:10:24 »
3 days ago on 14 Aug 2006 neilep wrote: "I will put this to practise by getting wifey to scratch my balls tomorrow morning !...I will report here the result."

There really is no need to go that far; a mere back scratch in the name of science would suffice. Anyway, tell her to let go of them for a short while so you can escape back to the keyboard and report the result! Or is she after your wallet?

« Last Edit: 17/08/2006 01:15:28 by FuzzyUK »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/08/2006 13:21:38 »
quote:

3 days ago on 14 Aug 2006 neilep wrote: "I will put this to practise by getting wifey to scratch my balls tomorrow morning !...I will report here the result."

There really is no need to go that far; a mere back scratch in the name of science would suffice. Anyway, tell her to let go of them for a short while so you can escape back to the keyboard and report the result! Or is she after your wallet?

Hi richard,

Hope I didn't offend you. I'll try and grow up a little :)

here's a little tip...should you want to respond directly to a post, click this button pointed to by the red arrow...it will ecncompasse the post you want to respond to in your own post as a quote....just like I have done with yours.

Great photos and watercolours.

ps: Yep...it was the wallet after all !!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 18/08/2006 13:22:34 by neilep »

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: 18/08/2006 17:53:03 »
quote:

Fuzzy

It's to do with anticipation. When you scratch yourself you know that you are going to do it. You control the movement and speed of your hand.

When someone else does this you are unaware of it and your nerves aren't as ready for it. It's different and new.

It's why people want to have sex instead of sitting in the house by themselves all the time lol. It's better :-D.

I think it's the same mechanism that adapts people to pain are other stimuli.

After you put your clothes on, very quickly you are unaware you they are touching you because you adapt to the constant stimuli of the clothes touching your skin. This also happens in hearing when you drown out certain constant background noises.

-Steven

Steven

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #8 on: 18/08/2006 18:08:58 »
partly its the relief of getting that darn itch scratched but a lot of it is to to with the social mechanism that getting your itch scrached implies (this it very obvious if you have every seen an ape documentry) the action of bieng groomed by a relation confirms family ties and strengthens the bond between you basicaly the same idea as a hug but between non related peers the action denotes acceptance into a group, respect and confirms your place in the current hierarchey. its a largely unused mechanism between humans today but its a system deeply embedded into our social structure and is understood on a subconcious level by all.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 18/08/2006 18:08:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums