The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is time dilation a consequence of computational complexity?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There is a conjecture that our universe is actually a simulation. I have no idea whether this is true or not, or even verifiable. But it got me wondering:

Could it be that the simulation slows down to accommodate more "computationally expensive" regions of space? The massive object responsible for gravitational the field probably has a lot of interacting particles or more information (ie more calculations to make per unit volume). My gut feeling is that this could fit into explanations of time dilation due to planets, stars, black holes, atomic nuclei... I haven't found any major problems yet.

Could it also potentially apply to inertia (harder to calculate changes made to more particles)? This seems like more of a stretch to me, but I still pose the question.

The main issue I see is that the time dilation increases experimentally shown with increase in mass, and the expected computation time would not scale in the same way. Computation time often increases in a convex fashion as the complexity of the problem increases, but we don't see exponential increase in time dilation with increasing mass density...

I don't know. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: 08/03/2014 15:05:35 by chris »

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Re: time dilation and informational density
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/2014 06:50:42 »
This simulation has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2014 13:11:19 »
You're using a linear model thinking of it, or are you thinking of it from the perspective of a quantum computer? In the later mode computations does not take time as I see it, it's the outcomes you observe that 'takes the time' there. In the linear model you will use a arrow, and that one you have to define locally by necessity. If you want a model using linear time at some 'global scale' I don't know how to do it.

Offline flr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2014 08:52:24 »
Could it be that the simulation slows down to accommodate more "computationally expensive" regions of space? The massive object responsible for gravitational the field probably has a lot of interacting particles or more information (ie more calculations to make per unit volume). My gut feeling is that this could fit into explanations of time dilation due to planets, stars, black holes, atomic nuclei...

If the computations are quantum (i.e. it uses that crazy parallelism due to quantum entanglement) then those "computationally more expensive" (or denser) regions of space may have exponentially more local 'hardware' to do computations. 

For example, in a quantum computation model, if we entangle 292 qbits together then one single 'step' can perform a number of parallel operations equal to 2^292=10^88=the number of protons in the entire visible universe!. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2014 08:52:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length