The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Condensed matter artificial gravity  (Read 3035 times)

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Condensed matter artificial gravity
« on: 08/03/2014 03:56:11 »
I am working on calculations to see if condensed matter artificial gravity would be feasible for space travel. Ambitious? Absurd? Maybe but I will report back on the results of the work.

Offline McKay

• View Profile
Re: Condensed matter artificial gravity
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2014 10:37:26 »
How would condensed matter produce artificial gravity (other than the mass gravity all matter already has) ?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/03/2014 10:46:29 »
How would condensed matter produce artificial gravity (other than the mass gravity all matter already has) ?

If you condense any mass to within its Schwarzschild radius the gravitation at the event horizon traps light. Therefore condensed matter will produce a greater gravitational field as the density increases. As the condensed mass takes up a smaller amount of space it is more manageable. However it may be that the mass/compression ratio would be impractical for such a use. Initial findings indicate that there may not be a practical application as the technology to create enough condensed matter are currently beyond our level of technology. I need to investigate gravitational feedback in more depth to determine the feasibility.

Offline alan hess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/03/2014 23:09:23 »
Couple of wrinkles, where would you get the mass to compress to get your gravitational field. Secondly, if you have a gravitational field near planet, or such. It would be attracted to the planet and your spaceship would crash if you're out in interstellar space in order for the mass to pull you, you need to keep moving  forward to keep pulling you, correct?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/03/2014 00:11:09 »
Couple of wrinkles, where would you get the mass to compress to get your gravitational field. Secondly, if you have a gravitational field near planet, or such. It would be attracted to the planet and your spaceship would crash if you're out in interstellar space in order for the mass to pull you, you need to keep moving  forward to keep pulling you, correct?

Laser cooling is one option to obtain the mass necessary but the amounts of mass involved are large and the compression ratio would probably be out of reach of our current technology. If you were to generate a g force of 9.78 m/sē which is equivalent to earth and you were trying to launch a craft you may have trouble but because you are already within a gravitational field you do not need artificial gravity. Laser cooling operates quickly to reduce the temperature of mass so this could be enabled when needed. If the mass was much smaller than the earth the inverse square decrease in the field strength when at a distance from the planet would mean it would be negligible as far as the two masses were concerned, the spacecraft and the earth. However a g force of 9.78 m/sē would certainly be apparent within the craft. This gravity generation would prevent bone loss and other untoward effects experienced during space travel.

Also because the whole mass contributes feedback you could layer the compressed masses with each mass being thicker the further away it is. In this way you would not need one solid block of mass to create the field. As long as all the contributions sum to 9.78 m/sē you have the end result. The main drawback of this method would be the short range effects due to the size of the masses involved. While the compression does add to the effective gravity the field will die away more quickly.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2014 00:19:13 by jeffreyH »

Offline alan hess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2014 23:19:58 »
Compressed matter still requires the same amount of mass for example if the earth was the size of an orange. It would still only have 1G even though it was smaller so you would have to gather together the mass of the earth and compress it in order to have a 1G force the problem with this is as I said when you're close to the earth you will be attracted to the earth, you need to be out in deep space in order to be attracted to that orange now you have to move the orange in order for it to pull you, the only feasible way this could work is if you had an artificial source of gravity. Where you could generate a 1G force to pull you, which is why most people try and go for the opposite and create antigravity. So the 1G force behind you throws you.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/03/2014 02:37:45 »
Compressed matter still requires the same amount of mass for example if the earth was the size of an orange. It would still only have 1G even though it was smaller so you would have to gather together the mass of the earth and compress it in order to have a 1G force the problem with this is as I said when you're close to the earth you will be attracted to the earth, you need to be out in deep space in order to be attracted to that orange now you have to move the orange in order for it to pull you, the only feasible way this could work is if you had an artificial source of gravity. Where you could generate a 1G force to pull you, which is why most people try and go for the opposite and create antigravity. So the 1G force behind you throws you.

All we can say about what g would be at that compression is in the mathematics. We have no experimental evidence to back this up. Condensed matter physics cannot operate at the required scales. Theory is all well and good but it needs a method of falsification or verification through experiment. Twistor theory proposes 4 spatial dimensions. Through complex numbers the fourth dimension may hide a mirrored set of 3 dimensions. If we existed in those dimensions we would still see only 4 dimensions whereas there would actually be 7 + time. The complex numbers that are in that domain would be equivalent to our real numbers and visa versa.

Number lines are a good way of representing this. Try creating one at the site below with a start of -10 and ending at 10. Then imagine the imaginary number line running at 90 degrees to it. The translation between numbering systems can be plotted. I am working on this system at the moment.

http://themathworksheetsite.com/numline.html

BTW One of these dimensions is an information bar and will always be seen as its own one dimensional domain. This is a good analogue for the event horizon. It may be that imaginary numbers could give us the mathematics to theorize black holes.
« Last Edit: 19/03/2014 02:47:07 by jeffreyH »

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/03/2014 03:33:17 »
This mirroring of dimensions could explain the integral data.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/10/do-black-holes-eject-antimatter-.html

Offline alan hess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/03/2014 23:44:09 »
I'd have to disagree they have found all kinds of different size black holes and are able to calculate the gravity by the effect they have on surrounding matter. They know that a certain size diameter will have a certain amount of gravity. As far as interdimensional travel, I am no expert I couldn't even begin to guess. As I said in my last post it would be easier to create antigravity and be propelled away from the planet endocrine try and create a mass to pull you, it's just like a horse and a wagon you spank the horses, butt with a whip or put a carrot in front of his nose. Either way you have to get the horse to move to pull your wagon. Same with your gravity mass, you must move the mass in order to move to ship my question is how you can move the mass.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/03/2014 00:29:37 »
I'd have to disagree they have found all kinds of different size black holes and are able to calculate the gravity by the effect they have on surrounding matter. They know that a certain size diameter will have a certain amount of gravity. As far as interdimensional travel, I am no expert I couldn't even begin to guess. As I said in my last post it would be easier to create antigravity and be propelled away from the planet endocrine try and create a mass to pull you, it's just like a horse and a wagon you spank the horses, butt with a whip or put a carrot in front of his nose. Either way you have to get the horse to move to pull your wagon. Same with your gravity mass, you must move the mass in order to move to ship my question is how you can move the mass.

You are misunderstanding my intentions. This is not for propulsion but to give traveler's a gravity equivalent to earth's.

Offline alan hess

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2014 10:17:37 »
It would be far easier to spin the ship, or generate a magnetic field, and have clothing with iron in it. If you have a 1 gravity mass in the center of your ship, you would have an attractive force to the planet and give you that much more. You have to lift off.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2014 10:17:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length