The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you identify these minerals?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline armaita77

• First timers
    • View Profile
Can you identify these minerals?
« on: 10/03/2014 18:35:30 »
I believe they are minerals,
Here is access to the photos : newbielink:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2JvV_P9voKDZ1NMXy1LQjROV1k&usp=sharing [nonactive]

The first (Mineral #1)  appears translucent, although its not yet completely cleaned. Whats catching me off guard is its almost metallic (i know its not the correct wordage) skin. The skin has a different shine than the inside. The inside seems foggy and i don't know if the picture catches it, but theres three foggy columnar areas inside.

The second seems like it is the same general type as the first, but it has these lead/metal type pieces lodged in it.

As you may have undoubtable guessed i am not a geologist :) I am a biologist and but would so greatly appreciate any help in identifying these, the mystery of it is killing me

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can you identify these minerals?
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2014 19:22:35 »
based on conchoidal fracture, crystal structure and transparency- Mineral 1 is almost undoubtedly quartz. Should be harder than a knife point.
Mineral 2- my first guess would be wolframite, based on the crystal shape and cleavage (in a quartz matrix).  Can you give me any more information?  Are any of the "black" crystals metallic looking?  I couldn't tell from the photo?  If so, what color metallic? brassy? silver? gray?
Can you scratch the black mineral with a knife?  Are the black crystals heavy?
Where (general area) did you get the specimen?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2014 19:23:39 »
The first (Mineral #1)  appears translucent, although its not yet completely cleaned. Whats catching me off guard is its almost metallic (i know its not the correct wordage) skin. The skin has a different shine than the inside. The inside seems foggy and i don't know if the picture catches it, but theres three foggy columnar areas inside.

adularescence in rose quartz ?

Quote from: wikipedia.org/wiki/Adularescence
Adularescence appears in numerous other gemstones, notably common opal, rose quartz and agate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adularescence
« Last Edit: 10/03/2014 19:30:47 by RD »

Offline armaita77

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/03/2014 18:48:56 »
based on conchoidal fracture, crystal structure and transparency- Mineral 1 is almost undoubtedly quartz. Should be harder than a knife point.
Mineral 2- my first guess would be wolframite, based on the crystal shape and cleavage (in a quartz matrix).  Can you give me any more information?  Are any of the "black" crystals metallic looking?  I couldn't tell from the photo?  If so, what color metallic? brassy? silver? gray?
Can you scratch the black mineral with a knife?  Are the black crystals heavy?
Where (general area) did you get the specimen?

Bass:

They are striated and dark gray, almost certainly metallic, most of them are Cuboid in shape (if that matters) and no it can't be scratched with a knife-edge

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2014 03:19:16 »
With the tabular xtals in the picture, and your descriptions, I'm sticking with Ferberite (wolframite- iron tungstate) for now.  The one easy test for wolframite is that it is very heavy.

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/03/2014 18:58:11 »
From the info, I would agree that wolframite is a good guess.  With a hardness of about 5, it should be possible to scratch it, perhaps with a piece of quartz (H 7). If the streak is chocolate-brown, that's another point in favour of wolfram. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 19/03/2014 18:58:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums