The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is climate change causing more severe storms?  (Read 9492 times)

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
Re: Is climate change causing more severe storms?
« Reply #75 on: 09/04/2016 20:26:37 »
You are very skilled at belittling those you feel threatened by. Especially when you realise that they have experience in the field you want to portray yourself as an expert in. The climate is changing and yes we have had some impact on that but it would have been an upward trend without our input.
Yeah, that's something I learned in forums. I'm not this way in real life, only in the virtual world. And I learned from the best. You can only be so insulting when you're dumb, but people in science forums are a little bit smarter than average, so trolls can be pretty skilled.

I tend to see this in terms of science. Consider Newton's famous axiom, for every action, there is a reaction. For example, maybe you shouldn't have intruded in the conversation and patronized me with your condescending little attitude, interjecting a bunch of passive-aggessive flame posts in a row, and stuck to the subject of science like I suggested, meat head.

Now, as far as the rest of your post, FALSE:

http://climatenewsnetwork.net/why-we-should-be-cooling-not-warming/

Then, there's the graph I keep posting over and over:

https://robertscribbler.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/ice-core-co2-record-800000-years.jpg

Historically, it would appear that a peak is generally followed by a trough, not a dramatic spike.

At this point, I'm just hoping you show signs of a dramatic spike in brain activity.
« Last Edit: 09/04/2016 20:29:44 by Craig W. Thomson »

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 09/04/2016 22:57:31 »
The reason you have issues in public forums is three fold. Firstly your arrogance. Secondly your resort to insults. Thirdly your inability to engage in a reasonable debate and an unwillingness to consider other viewpoints.

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 09/04/2016 23:40:15 »
For those with more open minds here is a research paper on the role played by water vapour on the climate. It is not as expected. Like many other phenomena, the climatic system can be counter intuitive.
arxiv.org/abs/0908.4410

Offline Tim the Plumber

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 10/04/2016 08:06:44 »
and we illustrate the circulation changes through simulations with an idealized general circulation model. This allows us to explore a continuum of climates, constrain macroscopic laws governing this climatic continuum, and place past and possible future climate changes in a broader context.

Yeah, who needs actual real world data when you have a computer to make you look clever?

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 10/04/2016 12:26:46 »
Since a computer model has to be predictive it cannot simply play back raw data. It has to base a simulation on analysis of the instrumentation data.

Offline Tim the Plumber

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 10/04/2016 13:25:02 »
Since a computer model has to be predictive it cannot simply play back raw data. It has to base a simulation on analysis of the instrumentation data.

By the time you have put in the necessary assumptions to make your simplified model you are telling yourself whatever you wanted to in the first place.

The climate is very complex and doing such a simulation is always going to give results that cannot be trusted.

Offline agyejy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 10/04/2016 14:11:59 »

By the time you have put in the necessary assumptions to make your simplified model you are telling yourself whatever you wanted to in the first place.

The climate is very complex and doing such a simulation is always going to give results that cannot be trusted.

Well that is just patently ridiculous:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 10/04/2016 15:50:51 »
The reason you have issues in public forums is three fold. Firstly your arrogance. Secondly your resort to insults. Thirdly your inability to engage in a reasonable debate and an unwillingness to consider other viewpoints.
I've asked you several times now to shut the hell up if you're not going to talk about science. Nobody cares about your half baked psychoanalysis, halfwit.

At least I'm honest. You thinly veil your insults and arrogance as you pretend to be on your best behavior, trolling people from the safety of your own home like a little pansy.

There ARE no other viewpoints. When you burn stuff, you get heat and carbon dioxide that helps trap heat. End of story.
« Last Edit: 10/04/2016 15:56:13 by Craig W. Thomson »

Offline Tim the Plumber

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 10/04/2016 16:54:34 »

Well that is just patently ridiculous:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm

So why do you think the climate models don't work?

I'd say it a combination of chaos and wrong assumptions. But do tell me what it reall is.

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 10/04/2016 17:06:29 »

I'd say it a combination of chaos and wrong assumptions. But do tell me what it reall is.
Do you even know the difference between a linear and a non-linear system? I'm going to guess no.

News flash: Climate is not random, and neither is weather. There's order in that randomness. Most systems in nature exhibit non-linear characteristics. However, non-linear equations are hard to solve, so mathematicians approximate them with linear equations.

Then you come along and start quoting those mathematicians without even knowing what they are talking about.

That's "wrong assumption" number one. Edify yourself:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_climatechange25.htm

Offline agyejy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 10/04/2016 17:51:22 »

So I guess you don't read cited sources. Here is quote:

Quote from: http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-models.htm
So all models are first tested in a process called Hindcasting. The models used to predict future global warming can accurately map past climate changes. If they get the past right, there is no reason to think their predictions would be wrong. Testing models against the existing instrumental record suggested CO2 must cause global warming, because the models could not simulate what had already happened unless the extra CO2 was added to the model. All other known forcings are adequate in explaining temperature variations prior to the rise in temperature over the last thirty years, while none of them are capable of explaining the rise in the past thirty years.  CO2 does explain that rise, and explains it completely without any need for additional, as yet unknown forcings.

Where models have been running for sufficient time, they have also been proved to make accurate predictions. For example, the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo allowed modellers to test the accuracy of models by feeding in the data about the eruption. The models successfully predicted the climatic response after the eruption. Models also correctly predicted other effects subsequently confirmed by observation, including greater warming in the Arctic and over land, greater warming at night, and stratospheric cooling.

The past is no different than the future. If you give you model the set of parameters from today and nothing else and it retrodicts yesterday and all previous days for which you have data then you can be fairly sure your model is good. If you model later correctly predicts the changes that occur due to a volcanic eruption you can be even more sure your model is good. Clearly the climate models work otherwise they wouldn't be getting these things right.

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 10/04/2016 19:47:35 »
I've asked you several times now to shut the hell up if you're not going to talk about science. Nobody cares about your half baked psychoanalysis, halfwit.

At least I'm honest. You thinly veil your insults and arrogance as you pretend to be on your best behavior, trolling people from the safety of your own home like a little pansy.

There ARE no other viewpoints. When you burn stuff, you get heat and carbon dioxide that helps trap heat. End of story.

For as long as you are being disrespectful I will call you out on it. I won't call you names. I will simply point out the defects in your character that make you so objectionable.

Offline Craig W. Thomson

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 11/04/2016 14:03:28 »
For as long as you are being disrespectful I will call you out on it. I won't call you names. I will simply point out the defects in your character that make you so objectionable.
There's nothing respectful about interrupting a conversation about science to not talk about science, so as long as you keep wasting everyone's time doing that, I'm going to keep calling you names, more on.

You don't learn very quickly, do you?
« Last Edit: 13/04/2016 14:15:32 by Craig W. Thomson »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #87 on: 11/04/2016 14:03:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums