The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: did man ever walk on the moon  (Read 10775 times)

Offline miles

• First timers
    • View Profile
did man ever walk on the moon
« on: 12/08/2006 21:53:15 »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: did man ever walk on the moon
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2006 22:49:03 »
YES !

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2006 23:28:34 »
Good boy!! I have a story for you! My Grandmother was born in 1918. She was asked upon returning to school from vacation in 1928, (10 years old) to write an essay about what her goals for her life included! She told them she had a dream, that man was going to build a ship that would take them to the moon and that man would walk on the moon one day!! Upon reading her essay, she was promptly scowled at by the teacher who then said, Miss Dixon , I'll not have any of that blasphemy in my classroom. Why would you write such nonsense, she then replied, because I saw it! She said the whole class got quiet and then the teacher grabbed her by her arm and told her she needed to visit the princpal and would recieve many demerits for her Blasphemy! The principal was apalled and immediately kicked her out of school, suspending her for two months and making many more stupid comments about her. They told her parents that she could not come back until an apology was made to the other students as well as teacher and Princible!! For many years they claimed my Grandma was touched!She was forced to go back and apologise even though her folks new she was right! My Grandma had a been given gift that she had, sense she was two as far as her folks could tell. She often told them that a loved was going to die and often already had. She knew many things before they occurred and did keep her own records. Needless to say when My sisters and I were young and the 1rst moon landing happened, I was with my Grandma, who had been planning for years for this event and we had a party and were made to sit very quietly late into the night as she watched until the tv went off the air. I watched her cry that night for several hours, no words just tears as she watched everything unfold as she had written that day back in 1928! I remember after that wondering about a childs chalk picture on her wall in a frame. It said Wilma, 1928!! Ship to the moon! It had a picture of a childs rendition of a space ship and a man in a bubbly suit with a flag in his hand! It was what she had saved and hidden away until she was an adult! This is why I know man walked on the moon. So many people out there trying to say we were all fooled, but in my heart I watched it and I experieced this with my Grandmother who I know for a fact beyond any shadow of a doubt, new the truth!!!!

Karen
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 10:01:42 by Karen W. »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/08/2006 23:33:08 »
Wow ! Karen.

What an amazing account.

Thank You.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2006 00:03:20 »
No Problem, a little family history Sir, as I do have a few skeletons in my closet so to speak!! My Grandma was A lovely woman of whom I Loved very much and treasured!! She left me with alot of wonderful Memories and knowledge!!

Karen
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 00:25:50 by Karen W. »

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2006 00:10:53 »
I think it was a magnificient story Karen...beautiful...!!!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/08/2006 00:31:35 »
Thanks Loretta, thats probably because she was a beautiful person herself!! Hows your day??

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #7 on: 13/08/2006 01:00:51 »
Oh exciting!  I am going to go to work early...was supposed to go dancing with Rico...but....mr. homeland security has been called in to work early!  cheapskate!  LOL  We may do it again soon!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/08/2006 09:25:08 »
TOO bad, Dancing sounds so fun!!!!! We were sailing away.......on moonlight bay.....you could hear the voices singing ....they seemed to say.......You have stolen my heart...now don't delay......you could hear the voices singing..... on moonlight bay!!!! 1,2,3, ..1,2,3,

Karen
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 12:12:35 by Karen W. »

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13/08/2006 09:25:41 »
Well, Karen, that was a magnificient story indeed.
I was 21 in those days, and remember staying up all night to watch Armstrong and Aldring setting foot on the moon. But what does this prove ?
I also remember that some people - some few people I should say - stated that it was all just great artwork by very skilled visual effects people at Holywood or elsewhere.
In the following years, I was a teacher in Africa, and to many of my pupils it was hardly conceivable that a man could walk on the moon. But it was just as inconceivable that a big airplane like a 747 could actually fly and even make a non stop flight across the ocean. It was just great to use all this inconceivable thing in my maths and physics lessons.
Anyway, we were great believers in science and technology, almost to the point of being religious believers in them. But already there were warnings that the pendulum was about to swing in the other direction. Just read Mitchener's novel "Space", to see some of this warnings.
As the race to the moon was won, the popularity of science and technology within the general public was wearing off, and people turned to esoterism, parapsychology and a number of pseudo-sciences. Some of the teachers in those fields were and are very succesfull in denying any scientific or technological achievement that the public is not confronted with in everyday life. "If you can not see a trace of a human footprint through your home telescope, how can they prove it is there" (I did hear this statement myself in what was anounced as a serious lecture).
Well, the statement came from someone who calls himself a paragnost, and since that day I like to say that "paragnost" means "opposed to knowledge".

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13/08/2006 10:22:35 »
It may not prove anything to anyone but our family, which was important! Mostly it was important to her, it was her self respect. Man walked on the moon I have no doubt, I already have an absolute knowlegde of this for myself, not for you or anyone else. You have to find those things in your life that bring you to a knowledge of the absolute truth! You will be able to know for sure when you have learned the things that are important for you, in order for you to establish a faith in yourself that will take you beyond what you can see with your eyes!

Karen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13/08/2006 10:38:01 »
MY Grandmother Loved knowledge and Science. She was also was  very studied in astronomy. When she was an adult, she self taught herself as much as she could, as did my mother. She loved the solar system the great vastness that stretched out in front of her every day. She taught us to learn with our hands our hearts and with our brain, thinking reasoning and common sense! I don't know where that leaves me the great pool of intelligence, but I do know that what I have learned I have learned through many different avenues of thought processing as well as hands on experience! I believe everyone has their own truths, this is one of mine! For me It is one of the most powerful ones I have have knowledge of!

Karen

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 13/08/2006 11:22:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by eric l
Some of the teachers in those fields were and are very succesfull in denying any scientific or technological achievement that the public is not confronted with in everyday life. "If you can not see a trace of a human footprint through your home telescope, how can they prove it is there" (I did hear this statement myself in what was anounced as a serious lecture).
Well, the statement came from someone who calls himself a paragnost, and since that day I like to say that "paragnost" means "opposed to knowledge".

Challenging accepted knowledge is not opposed to knowledge – “knowledge”  that is not regularly challenged is merely faith.

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13/08/2006 12:16:49 »
Hey George I agree!  Hope you are well this day!

Karen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13/08/2006 15:16:38 »
My cat walked on the moon.

Offline eric l

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13/08/2006 17:23:00 »
If you want to challenge knowledge, you must have something at least as good (or at least be convinced you have).  I can not say that I do not believe Karen's grandmother, though I do not understand how she could have known.  But I would probably have treated her dream or vision the same was as I treated Jules Verne's "Voyage to the Moon".  After the moon landing, I respected Verne even more for the closeness of his speculations, regarding the few "facts and figures" that were available to him.  If I had known Karen's grandmother and here story I would have shown her the same kind of respect.
I am well aware that there are people around who know things I don't know.  
What I have problems with is people denying well documented historical facts, wether that be that man has walked on the moon, or that the holocaust has happened.  They would have to PROVE me that these things did not happen.  Proving some details wrong may be easy, proving it did not happen at all is something else.
Another group of people I have problems with are those who feed the public with sensational speculaions, and make it all look very scientific by adding footnotes, citations, litterature list and whatsoever.  Or, what 's even worse, by revealing only the information that fits in their speculation and disregard or even conceal all the rest.  Indeed some very succesful people fit in both these categories.
What is it I'm saying ?  Simply that I'm very sceptical to people who deny historical facts, and to people who come with sensational revalations, and that I encourage others to be sceptical as well.  But not that I refuse to envistigate the matter.
Oh, Neil, is your cat's name Snowy and was he or she ever Tintin's dog ?
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 17:25:57 by eric l »

Offline miles

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14/08/2006 16:10:51 »
i think it was filmed in area 51

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14/08/2006 19:42:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by eric l

Oh, Neil, is your cat's name Snowy and was he or she ever Tintin's dog ?

Hee hee !!..no..he was called Pepper and he walked over a picture of the moon ! :D

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: 15/08/2006 18:30:16 »
One of my dogs is named snowy.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15/08/2006 22:09:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mjhavok

One of my dogs is named snowy.

" Here Snowy...Here boy...Here Snowy !!...good doggy good doggy !!..roll over !!..roll over !! "

Ahhhh..Snowy is cute !!...what are the names of your other canines ?

My first ever pyjama case was a rabbit called Snowy too !! :D

Offline B_Sharp

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16/08/2006 03:23:08 »
The moon is flat!

ROBERT

« Reply #21 on: 16/08/2006 13:34:13 »
" NASA can't find original tape of moon landing Tue Aug 15, 7:48 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government has misplaced the original recording of the first moon landing, including astronaut Neil Armstrong's famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," a NASA spokesman said on Monday.

Armstrong's famous space walk, seen by millions of viewers on July 20, 1969, is among transmissions that NASA has failed to turn up in a year of searching, spokesman Grey Hautaloma said.

"We haven't seen them for quite a while. We've been looking for over a year and they haven't turned up," Hautaloma said."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060815/od_nm/space_tapes1_dc

The conspiracy theorists will have a field day.

« Last Edit: 16/08/2006 13:39:20 by ROBERT »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16/08/2006 13:37:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT

" NASA can't find original tape of moon landing Tue Aug 15, 7:48 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government has misplaced the original recording of the first moon landing, including astronaut Neil Armstrong's famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," a NASA spokesman said on Monday.

Perhaps they left it on the moon in one of those 24 hour film developing places and forgot to pick it up before they left ! :D

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17/08/2006 02:07:59 »
You crack me up Sir!

Karen
« Last Edit: 17/08/2006 02:08:41 by Karen W. »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #23 on: 17/08/2006 02:07:59 »