The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Palaeontology  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Zet

• First timers
    • View Profile
Palaeontology
« on: 13/08/2006 07:18:17 »
Hi everyone,
I'm a Geo student study at QUT, Brisbane, and have an assignment requiring me to research 5 significant fossil deposits with in 200km of Brisbane, Australia. I am having difficulty locating 5. Does anyone know of any? Or know an organisation or website which holds this kind of info?
I'd appreciate any help
Thank you muchly
Zet

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Palaeontology
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2006 11:13:44 »
Austrailian fossil hold some of the worlds oldest forms of life known to man. You can find them in groups of rocks which are known as "EDIOCARIAN FORMATIONS." The lung fish is a Living fossil from the triassic castle. Thats as far as I could find tonight, maybe someone else has some more information.I found that on the web!

Karen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2006 11:37:21 »
check out www.micrrh.jcu.edu.au  
Then click on Remote Health Conference, Mt Isa, Queensland, Australia, there is some information there on fossils when you scroll down. It would be a good start point! There were alot more just placing Brisbane, fossil, deposits, Austrailia, or a combo of those into your browser!

Karen
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 20:59:17 by Karen W. »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2006 17:22:56 »
As a student I runied my eyesight using a cheap binocular microscope to pick Monotreme teeth from Australian aluvial sediments. I still wear bifoculs. The researcher was Ernest Lundelius, a vertibrate paleontologist who did a Rhodes Scholorship in and around Brisbane. A very nice person and sure to respond if you offer to send him a beer. BUT FIRST, Look up his work. He doesn't like being approached without the background work being done.

Ernie is now an emeritus professor and can be reached if you go to the web page http://www.geo.utexas.edu/fac_staff_dir.html - NO email addresses in this forum's text.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein
« Last Edit: 13/08/2006 17:25:58 by JimBob »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2006 17:47:07 »
Forgot,

I was a student from 1962-68 at UT. never got my PhD. Ernie's work was published a little later.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2006 21:01:51 »
Very cool Jimbob, That sounds like a great reference for him! Nice......

Karen

Offline Zet

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/08/2006 02:06:36 »
Thanks karen and Jimbob, just needed that fresh pair of eyes, cheers, Take care.

Offline dinochick

• View Profile
    • http://www.dinochick.com
« Reply #7 on: 24/08/2006 22:32:29 »
There are dinosaur trackways up near Darwin, I believe (not sure if that is in your radius distance). There are also dinosaur bones known from Victoria & Inverloch, and a book published on all of the dinosaur finds in Australia in 2000 called 'Dinosaurs of Darkness.' There are also the Koonwarra fossil beds...

Offline dinochick

• View Profile
    • http://www.dinochick.com
« Reply #8 on: 24/08/2006 22:32:29 »
There are dinosaur trackways up near Darwin, I believe (not sure if that is in your radius distance). There are also dinosaur bones known from Victoria & Inverloch, and a book published on all of the dinosaur finds in Australia in 2000 called 'Dinosaurs of Darkness.' There are also the Koonwarra fossil beds...

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 24/08/2006 22:32:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums