The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: popcorn time  (Read 3442 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
popcorn time
« on: 20/03/2014 16:45:48 »
According to the media this easy to operate pirate download application is going to ruin the film industry , it is not easy enough for me I cannot make it do anything although I know many ways to download films for free if I was sufficiently lacking in morals to do so.
Simply as an academic exorcise can anyone make it work.
if you do not think it should be published contact me privately I assure I will not use it to make illegal downloads   

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: popcorn time
« Reply #1 on: 20/03/2014 17:20:58 »
Posting the specifics on where to get pirated films may be contravening the rules of this forum ... 
Quote from: thenakedscientists.com
Forum acceptable usage policy
1.   Keep it legal   
We are all bound by law, and we cannot host material that contravenes the law.  This means we cannot, amongst other things, host material that is obscene, that constitutes harassment,  that promotes terrorism, that is racist, or that constitutes a breach of copyright.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=8535.0

At the very least you'd be aiding and abetting copyright infringement by explaining where to get pirated movies ,
( and not just the ones where Johnny Depp does an impersonation of Keith Richards   :) ).   

If the movies are from Peer-to-peer sharing it's not risk free ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer_file_sharing#Risks
If you lie down with dogs you get fleas , [or in this case maybe a computer virus/malware ].
« Last Edit: 20/03/2014 17:29:41 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2014 17:26:12 »
I did include this proviso
"if you do not think it should be published contact me privately I assure I will not use it to make illegal downloads" 

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2014 18:10:39 »
It sounds like an interesting "service".  Apparently up and down a few times in recent weeks.

It appears to be a torrent index site.  There seems to be a lot of controversy about websites the publish indices without actually storing data. 

Anyway, one of the risks with torrents is that they publish your IP address for all to see.  A person running a torrent also becomes a distributor of data which increases your liability.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2014 18:53:20 »
If you attempt to run it it enters  .bat file (that is easy to read with CMD but I will refrain from publishing) which opens an index page which sits there doing nothing making no contact with the internet 

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/03/2014 01:28:03 »

At the very least you'd be aiding and abetting copyright infringement by explaining where to get pirated movies

The recording industries bottom-line position is that possession of any copyright work that has not been advertised is piracy (how did you know of its existence without being aided by piracy, if it wasn't advertised?) This is how they have historically controlled the sale of recorded works so that only the lowest quality product at the highest price is made available to the consumer.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/04/2014 09:14:45 »
Many things that scientist do are illegal or immoral by normal standards such as designing nuclear weapons or planning how to burn tens of thousands of people to death in a city air raid or synthesizing plague viruses.
These things have to be done in a controlled environment where all the moral and legal implications are taken into account.
When I write to a scientific forum I assume that the readership take these matters into account and do not assume I am trying to incite the readership to break all copyright laws I feel I have been stamped on rather unjustly

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/04/2014 14:44:06 »
When I write to a scientific forum I assume that the readership take these matters into account and do not assume I am trying to incite the readership to break all copyright laws I feel I have been stamped on rather unjustly

You didn't post any copyrighted material or even links to copyrighted material in this thread, so you were following site rules as far as the moderators are concerned.  If we had felt you were breaking rules, you would have been contacted. 

Popcorn time has since taken their site down:
http://getpopcornti.me/
so it shouldn't work for anyone now.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 18/04/2014 14:44:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums