The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why is my beard greying symmetrically?  (Read 987 times)

Offline eternity

• View Profile
Why is my beard greying symmetrically?
« on: 25/03/2014 12:20:40 »
I was looking in the mirror the other day at my aging face and i noticed something that made me smile, my beard is going white but it is exactly symmetrical!

Can someone please explain how this works?

I thought it was individual hair follicles that became faulty but how is it that they seem to work in pairs? 

Anyway, regardless of the answer, its pretty amazing! (and the only positive thing about going white).

Thanks
« Last Edit: 25/03/2014 21:59:16 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: greying hair symetry
« Reply #1 on: 25/03/2014 14:55:05 »
Hair losing its the ability to produce pigment is genetically programmed ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8386476.stm

One's face forms from two halves which meet at the mid-line ...

those two halves had a common origin : the cells which were destined to make the follicles on the right half of your chin were once part of the same group of cells that made the follicles on the left half , that group split into two when your face formed.
« Last Edit: 25/03/2014 15:31:41 by RD »

Offline eternity

• View Profile
Re: Why is my beard greying symmetrically?
« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2014 09:35:34 »
Thanks for replying!

So what youre saying (if I understand this correctly), is that hair follicles have a pre-destined time to stop creating pigment - like a clock that is ticking. When the time arrives, even thought the cells have separated, each pair simultaneously begin to malfunction.

That's even more amazing than I could have guessed. 

Thank you very much, Ill tell my GF that next time she starts making fun of me, she'll be so impressed it may stop her jibing  :D

Cheers

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Why is my beard greying symmetrically?
« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2014 09:35:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums