The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the maximum age for a person?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is the maximum age for a person?
« on: 30/11/2003 02:40:36 »
I don't know much about the science behind this, but here goes.

I understand that certain cellular processes change with the age of the cell and/or the number of times the cell has replicated (what generation it is), such as the telomeres get shorter.  It seems to me this would put an upper bound on our age.

If a person were to achieve optimum diet and exercise, avoid disease and injury, and generally do everything right, how long could they live in the absence of any active anti-aging manipulation?

----
John
« Last Edit: 30/11/2003 02:42:33 by tweener »

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: What is the maximum age for a person?
« Reply #1 on: 30/11/2003 07:41:40 »
That's a good question.  I heard of someone living to be 120.  I know there's a finite number of times a human cell can divide (unless it's cancer), but I don't know if the number varies from person to person, not how many cells have to quit dividing before you expire.  And then, what happens to clones?  Have they already used up some of their divisions?

Bezoar

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #2 on: 30/11/2003 09:07:41 »
I believe there is significant research into apoptosis (cells ceasing reproduction) and how to prevent it from happening already underway.  Ironically enough, much of the longevity research is focused on the nature of cancer cells and why they can reproduce to no end.  I don't know much about this field, but it's one of those areas of interest that is a huge contender when it comes time for me to think about a graduate research project.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Quantumcat

• The Kitty Down Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2003 15:54:42 »
apoptosis is necessary or all cells would be cancerous (cancer cells just don't know how to apoptote, that's the only difference between them and other normal cells) Cancer cells can reproduce to all infinity because they simply lack the receptors for the hormone that tells them to apoptote!! (is there such a word?) either that or they lack something that brings the hormone's message the the chemical happenings that leads it to kill itself.

Am I dead? Am I alive? I'm both!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2003 19:39:38 »
People in Okinawa are renowned for longevity.  You could check into the age of some residents there.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2003 22:56:22 »
Guys - this is the very topic that was discussed on the radio show this Sunday (30/11/03) which was devoted to time and the body - Professor Steve Jackson from Cambridge University (who has just published a Nature paper about the genetics of ageing). The other guest is Russell Foster (from imperial) who is an expert on the body clock.

That show is archived on the latest show page - go back to http://www.thenakedscientists.com and click "latest show" and then click the realplayer button. (It'll be replaced with a new show on Sunday so you ahve 6 days to listen to it !) Steve is on at the beginning, and then from about 15 minutes in for the full interview / questions from the public.

He also has a factfile webpage to support his appearence - it might help to answer some of your questions :

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/ageing

chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 01/12/2003 22:57:35 »
Guys - this is the very topic that was discussed on the radio show this Sunday (30/11/03) which was devoted to time and the body - Professor Steve Jackson from Cambridge University (who has just published a Nature paper about the genetics of ageing). The other guest is Russell Foster (from imperial) who is an expert on the body clock.

That show is archived on the latest show page - go back to http://www.thenakedscientists.com and click "latest show" and then click the realplayer button. (It'll be replaced with a new show on Sunday so you ahve 6 days to listen to it !) Steve is on at the beginning, and then from about 15 minutes in for the full interview / questions from the public.

He also has a factfile webpage to support his appearence - it might help to answer some of your questions :

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/ageing

chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2003 04:06:01 »
Chris,
Thanks for the link!  I haven't listened to the show yet, but I read the web page and it is very interesting.  I'll try to listen to the show at work tomorrow.  

I finally got RealPlayer working this week.  I hate the ads and the spyware it put on my system, but it is still a nice app for lots of things.

----
John

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2003 16:36:54 »
I hate REAL too - we call it "real Virus" (as opposed to realvideo).

However, it is the format used by the BBC, so we rely on it for the post-show week archive. For the long-term archiving we use MP3 playable via media player (or realplayer for out and out devotees !). The current plan is to make the show downloadable in MP3 format so that people can shove it on their ipod and ease the boredom of the trip to work by listening to it - what do you think of that suggestion ?

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #9 on: 03/12/2003 20:56:07 »
I think that's a great idea because I'm getting an mp3 player for Christmas.  ;P  The only reason I haven't listened to the show yet is because I detest RealPlayer to the point where I refuse to install it on my computer.  

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #10 on: 03/12/2003 22:41:50 »
But you can listen to our old stuff in the archives as they are all MP3's.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/archive.htm

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06/12/2003 05:32:35 »
I think the MP3s are a great idea.  I don't have a player, but I can burn it to a CD and listen that way.  I'm saving my "present credits" and money and everything else for a digital camera.

----
John

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 06/12/2003 05:32:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums