The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cleaning scrap Lead (IV) Oxide?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
Cleaning scrap Lead (IV) Oxide?
« on: 26/03/2014 19:01:08 »
I have about 2 kilos of Pb and PbO2 from small scrap batteries. For the lead, I'm going to melt it outside and get it in some ingot-like shape, but what for the lead (IV) oxide? It's still in pieces, not powdered, and slightly wet with sulfuric acid (it has probably dried out by now). How can i clean it? I was thinking of putting it between two iron sheets, the whole thing in a thick plastic bag, hammering it all over with a rubber hammer (or an old meat thing, how are they called?) and safely pouring the powder in a bucket with lid. Then adding water, mixing and decanting for one day, repeating the water part 3-4 times may do the trick. Are there better methods? Yes, I'll be using protection, I don't wish to get poisoned.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning scrap Lead (IV) Oxide?
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2014 23:21:21 »
It might be easier and safer to crush the solids in a bucket already containing water (of course, don't break the bucket in the process). Powder is much easier to handle as a slurry than dry.

I assume you will be collecting all of the water that has touched the lead oxide, and disposing of it properly as hazardous waste. Possibly treating it yourself to sequester the lead as sulfide or similar insoluble form.

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/03/2014 17:37:46 »
I have a waste container for experiments involving chromium, lead, tin etc that's going to be disposed of by some company. I mostly use salts/acid/bases and common chemicals, that can be just neutralized and poured down the sink. I've prepared the bucket with the slurry PbO2, I hope it'll work fine.

Online Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/03/2014 20:39:05 »
Before you do anything, ask yourself what you are going to do with the stuff when you are finished.
What are you trying to achieve here?

Offline valeg96

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28/03/2014 13:08:07 »
Keeping some and making either Pb3O4, PbCl2 or Pb(NO3)2. I've sketched this diagram showing the possible reactions, though not necessarily practical (e.g. calcinating at 600C or Na2[Pb(OH)6])

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 28/03/2014 13:08:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length