The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Using a digital camera as a webcam  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Using a digital camera as a webcam
« on: 31/03/2014 21:51:06 »
I recently bought a Nikon D3300 digital DSLR camera. Does anybody know if and how it can be used as a web cam? I.e. I've connected it to my computer using the USB port and cable provided. However I can't seem to find how to use the camera as a webcam.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Using a digital camera as a webcam
« Reply #1 on: 31/03/2014 22:18:26 »
Some can some can't check your cameras instruction book or spec on the internet. my SONY Cyber-Shot  DSC-W320 is one of those that will not work

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/491/~/using-a-nikon-camera-as-a-web-cam
« Last Edit: 01/04/2014 07:40:03 by syhprum »

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/03/2014 22:45:28 »
some can some can't check your cameras instruction book or spec on the internet. my SONY Cyber-Shot  DSC-W320 is one of those that will not work

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/491/~/using-a-nikon-camera-as-a-web-cam
I've been searching like that but have not gotten a direct, straight answer.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/04/2014 07:39:24 »
Web cams are very cheap and normally you don't need a high end camera for this job.
I have a little Logitec webcam that does a very good job.

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/04/2014 12:57:14 »
Web cams are very cheap and normally you don't need a high end camera for this job.
I have a little Logitec webcam that does a very good job.

I understand. In fact I've already ordered a webcam and am just waiting for my computer to come in so I can pick them both up at the same time. Since I have a camera I trying to see if I can use it for simple things until I install my new webcam.

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2014 07:14:19 »
Because of data congestion over the net it helps if you are using live streaming to use no more than 800 x 600 web cam. Larger cameras can cause freeze and trouble in the receivers' software.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2014 06:33:07 »
Unless, of course, you wish to make Videos, in which case, you can find a 1080p video camera. 

Your Nikon, while it undoubtedly can take short video clips, it may be limited on storage space, and probably won't make a good video camera either.

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #7 on: 04/11/2014 02:33:52 »
I recently bought a Nikon D3300 digital DSLR camera. Does anybody know if and how it can be used as a web cam? I.e. I've connected it to my computer using the USB port and cable provided. However I can't seem to find how to use the camera as a webcam.

That didn't answer your question did it!

First, it's heavy so mount it fast so it doesn't fall on your foot.
Second, connect it physically with the appropriate connector sockets, sometimes there is a "direct card reader" socket on the camera and sometimes a (usually) separate socket for direct link to the computer.
Switch the camera on after the socket and cable have been connected,
This action may prompt a "Hardware wizard" connection to the computer,
If there is a wizard "new device" mesage, you may need to find the "driver software" on the disc for the camera model (or download the driver over internet).
NOTE: If your computer has "webcam viewing software" it can be possible to directly choose the "device" for use joined to the computer with that viewing software.
Half of it is (to ever invoke the required questions for camera configuration) is to connect the camera(Hardware Device) to the computer "and switch on the camera!!!".
Linux has much more effective  PgP(Plug and Play) connection detectors in the last couple versions too.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 04/11/2014 02:33:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length