The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you donate your living body to science?  (Read 1735 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can you donate your living body to science?
« on: 22/04/2014 20:30:01 »
Can I donate my living body to research?
Asked by Em Green

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.
 ...or Listen to the Answer or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 22/04/2014 20:30:01 by _system »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Can you donate your living body to science?
« Reply #1 on: 23/04/2014 15:10:49 »
Yes, please! The distinction between volunteering and donation is mostly whether the subject is alive or dead, and both are everyday occurrences.

Medical researchers are always looking for "normal" volunteers and anyone with a well-specified interesting disease or abnormality. Contact your local pharmaceutical or medical device manufacturer, or find a "volunteer panel" (most teaching hospitals and medical research labs have one, and there are several commercial clinical trial contractor companies and medical research charities).

Most university psychology, physiotherapy/chiropractic and sports science departments are keen to recruit "mature normals" for research - students don't always make the best subjects.

You can of course make a will that donates any useful bits and/or a reasonably intact whole for transplant and anatomical teaching respectively when you are dead, but if you are really generous and healthy, you can donate a few surplus or replaceable bits (blood, one kidney, bone marrow, possibly skin....) whilst you are alive. 

Curiously, I understand that you can practice surgery on a living volunteer but not on a corpse.   
« Last Edit: 23/04/2014 21:13:21 by alancalverd »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Can you donate your living body to science?
« Reply #1 on: 23/04/2014 15:10:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length