The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can we use the sun to light our homes?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How can we use the sun to light our homes?
« on: 30/04/2014 02:30:01 »
As we build at higher densities, architects are having to think more creatively about how to make the maximum use of natural daylight.
Read a transcript of the interview by clicking here
or Listen to it now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 30/04/2014 02:30:01 by _system »

Offline FunkyWorm

• View Profile
Re: How can we use the sun to light our homes?
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2014 13:13:06 »
I worked in a building in the early 90s that had solar-collectors on the roof which fed down via fibre-optic cable to emitters in the ceilings of offices that didn't have exterior windows. It meant you had sunlight in every room.
I once got up on a chair to investigate the 1m sq. "lighting" unit in the ceiling and the best I could see behind the polycarbonate cover was a large Fresnel lens that has the fibre cables terminated behind it. They didn't produce as much light as two mid-length fluorescent tubes but for the most part you didn't need to turn on the lights and it gave a very pleasant feel; the spectrum of the sun being what people like the best. You also got a better feel for the passage of the day and what the weather was like. I'm surprised I haven't seen it in more buildings.

Offline Ryan Mercer

• View Profile
    • Ryan's Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: 05/05/2014 14:23:08 »
I like what they do in developing/'3rd world' nations.... pop bottles and water.

newbielink:http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-SOLAR-BOTTLE-BULB/ [nonactive]  is an instructable on making them

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/05/2014 16:06:37 »
Nice soda bottles. 

I've been meaning to install some light tubes and skylights in my house.  Windows are nice.  Of course, there is always a tradeoff between windows and insulation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 05/05/2014 16:06:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums