The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Einstein and the Atom Bomb  (Read 49378 times)

Offline christianchick

• View Profile
Einstein and the Atom Bomb
« on: 01/12/2003 16:28:25 »
As far as i know the atom bomb was created in part(the formula was)by Albert Einstein,by accident too! When he published his formula E=mc^2 it didn't occur to him that it could be used to create a bomb the bomb[}:)]He said he made a sad mistake and would refuse to build it,BUT thats all i know... do you know who actually tried to build it?do you know anything else about it? Is there any body out there with a stupid comment! Just post here:D

The Bomb!

blue

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Re: Einstein and the Atom Bomb
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/2003 23:13:35 »
I think that it is inevitable that even without Einstein the bomb would still have been built.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

Offline roberth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2003 23:36:02 »
I think Oppenheimer was the first to develop the bomb. He was an American scientist working during the end of WW2.
In fact, today (2nd December) is the anniversary of the world's first nuclear chain reaction. There was a demonstration at Stagg Field, Chicago in 1942.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2003 02:30:51 by roberth »

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #3 on: 02/12/2003 03:08:00 »
Didn't Einstein say something to the effect "If I had known what would become of my work, I would have been a carpenter" ??

Einstein's work certainly hurried it along, but there are quite a few brilliant physicists from that era that would have figured it out.  Who knows, if it weren't for Einstein, we might have dropped the first one on Saigon instead.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/2003 04:13:07 »
Germany had a strong program to develop the "A-bomb" during WWII.  The U.S. got there first.  I think that was fortunate.  

Einstein laid the ground work, but there were many others that made strong contributions, and most likely would have made the same discoveries as Einstein.  I believe that they would have arrived at the same point in very close to the same time frame, but I could be wrong.

----
John

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/2003 09:23:51 »
And Japan was just getting ready to mass produce a turbine powered aircraft that was twice as good as anything we had in the skies.  I have to say, the cards really fell into place for us during that war.  If we had waited 6 more months to get the war machine rolling, we'd all be speaking German right now.  We cracked Germany's encryption just in time to foil their naval superiority by knowing where their U-boats would be, we made the bomb before Germany, and then dropped it on Japan before they could start creaming us in the Pacific.  All in all, we lucked out.  

As a personal rant, I can sympathize with Einstein...it's a crying shame to know that so many major scientific breakthroughs are either a result of or used in war.

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/2003 16:51:48 »
Is that they Royal "WE", or have you forgeten who really cracked he enigma code ?

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2003 21:02:08 »
By "we" in my above post I of course meant the allied forces.  Bletchley Park is in the UK, but I believe there were Americans there too, at least according to Neal Stephenson.  (And like any good red-blooded American, I get my history from novels and television)

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2003 22:45:44 »
Mmm, sorry to disappoint mate, but we cracked the Enigma ! Yes, I grant you there were some yanks there too. Probably cleaners or something ;)

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/12/2003 03:11:20 »
I guess you have me there.  For some reason I was thinking Alan Turing was an American.  We're conditioned from birth to think that we're the forerunners of every cool technology, so you can't possibly blame me.  I blame the Republicans.  

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #10 on: 04/12/2003 13:59:57 »
Yes, you're right. An American I was chatting with at a conference a few years ago was utterly crestfallen when I corrected him that an American had not, in fact, invented radio or radar, as he had just proudly announced to the admiring bunch of girls swarming around him...funny, Americans never lay claim to inventing crap things do they, just everything else ! Although some would argue that baseball and american football fall into that cateogory. Give me proper football and rugby any day ;)

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04/12/2003 19:36:58 »
Plucked a few of that rooster's feathers did you Chris? (laughing hysterically)

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/12/2003 18:31:32 »
hey now, rip on baseball all you want, but leave American football out of this.  There are a few things I could say about cricket or rugby, but I respect your weird-ass sporting events enough to hold my tongue.  (A googly?  A scrum?  wtf?)  However, I did know quite a few rugby players when I first went to college in 1993, and I must say they were some of the most foul, disgusting human beings I ever had to displeasure to associate with.  

But anyway, yes, as a society, we have a terrible tendency to think we're center of the world.  I try not to be that way but I often catch myself, as you so kindly pointed out to me.  That's precisely why I want to live in the UK or Canada for a while.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05/12/2003 22:54:34 »
Well if you move to Canada you'll have to change your name to cannadinoid (not easy if you're dyslexic):D.
« Last Edit: 05/12/2003 22:55:38 by Donnah »

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06/12/2003 05:48:25 »
I'm lauging hard at this one.

I think most all sporting events are weird, so I'm not biased toward any country.

If I worked hard enough at it, I could probably blame sports and the insane amount of time and money people spend on them, for just about all the ills in the world, including obesity, war, drugs, bad music, SUVs.  LOL

And I'm not sure that moving to Canada would make a big difference.

----
John

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06/12/2003 15:36:37 »
heh....cannadinoid.  cute....real cute.  Aren't they decriminalizing my namesake up there in Canada?  Now that's what I call good government.  I'd eat a 40% salary tax to not have to worry about The Man oppressing me when I'm catching a buzz.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08/12/2003 04:35:44 »
I haven't kept up; I think it's decriminalized but not legal yet.  As long as you have only a small amount for personal use and are not selling it I think you have very little to worry about here.

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08/12/2003 06:02:56 »
Now all you need is a universal health care plan and it would be perfect...oh wait...

;)

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09/12/2003 00:29:27 »
[8D]

Offline coolslaw

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12/12/2003 05:31:49 »
this explains it all.
newbielink:http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm [nonactive]

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #20 on: 12/12/2003 17:23:20 »
nice link, and welcome to the forum

Chris

- Groucho Marx

Offline OmnipotentOne

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14/06/2004 02:51:30 »
Well from memory I heard Einstein only helped in making the bomb only because he was afraid the japanese might perfect any version they had, and use it first.  Edward Teller is also credited with being the father of the atomic bomb.

Ehh I might be wrong, so tell me if I am

To see the world through a grain of sand.

Offline tweener

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15/06/2004 04:29:20 »
Actually, according to the history I've read (which is becoming more extensive lately) Einstein really didn't contribute much to the development of the Atomic Bomb.  The formula E=mc2 is derived from relativity theory, and is NOT the starting point for an atomic bomb.

Edward Teller was definitely involved in developing the Atomic Bomb, but is actually the "father" of the Hydrogen bomb, as he is the one who led it's development from 1945 to 1951, when the first one was detonated.

Germany was working on the development of Atomic weapons, but really did not get very far.  I don't know all the reasons, but the first is that when Hitler banned the Jews from working, he basically gutted the german universities and scientific establishment, along with all the countries he invaded.  Then, it is implied that Werner Heisenberg and the other scientists still in Germany understood the implications of Atomic weapons in the hands of the Nazis and didn't hurry in developing the technology.  Also, they put all their efforts on "heavy water" (deuterium) as a moderator, and didn't have a good source after some British commandos blew up a plant in Norway that produced it.  Another factor is that by 1944, Germany did not have the industrial capacity to spare to produce uranium 235 and/or plutonium.

Japan also had a small program devoted to developing atomic power for submarines, and possibly a bomb.  They did not have the industrial capacity to start enriching uranium or producing plutonium, so they did not get very far.

Germany was defeated by conventional means before the A-bomb was completed.  Japan was essentially defeated by July 1945, but had a repuation for a "fight to the death" attitude.  They were willing to accept surrender, but not unconditional surrender, which Truman and Chruchill demanded.  At this point in the war, conventional (incendiary) bombing was destroying entire cities at will, and there is no conceivable way that Japan could have regained any real military capability.  Hiroshima was actually spared conventional bombing so that the true destructive power of the A-bomb could be assessed.  Nagasaki was a secondary target that had limited military value, and thus had not been heavily bombed.  Tokyo might have been the third victim of the A-bomb, but there was basically nothing left anyway.  The third weapon was never shipped to the Pacific, but it was produced and ready.

An invasion of the Japanese homeland would have cost many many lives because the Japanese would have dug in and died fighting.  Thus the decision was made to drop the A-bomb as a convincing demonstration that "resistance would be futile".  Also, the Russians were preparing to enter the war against Japan by invading Manchuria, and Truman did not want this if it could be avoided.  The A-bomb was thus a way to shorten the war and save American lives as well as keep the Soviets out of the picture.  It was also thought that it would intimidate the Soviets, but I think Stalin was not easily intimidated.

----
John - The Eternal Pessimist.

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26/06/2004 15:44:42 »
Einstein was not the one who made the atom bomb it was two other persons i am not remembering their names but i studied their whole experiment.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27/06/2004 23:37:28 »
I thought there were only two bombs, and that they dropped them both rather close together, so as to make the enemy think there were plenty more on hand.  
Incidentally, I read the book "Enola Gay" by Paul Tebbits (sp?), the pilot of the Enola Gay who is still alive, and I have an awesome signed copy of the book.  Fascinating how they kept the project so secret.  If they used the same tactics now, people would be screaming about their constitutional rights.  And by the way, he has absolutely no regrets about dropping that bomb.  I'd heard rumors that he went crazy, but not so.  Still sane, and able to write about it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 27/06/2004 23:37:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums