The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can geniuses be made?? and is meditation very important to our aptitude?  (Read 7262 times)

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
They are particularly excited because the actor playing King Lear was also in Spiderman II.

Jim Lovell was recently honoured by the Guild of Air Pilots http://www.airpilots.org/file/1222/citations.pdf. A journalist member of the Guild tried to interest an editor to cover the story. "Never heard of Lovell...." "Astronaut. Captain of Apollo 13. Tom Hanks played him in the film." "Ah, now if you can get an interview with Tom Hanks...."

How sad.   

I'm not sure it is the same - I think the students feel "well maybe Shakespeare isn't totally lame if the same actor from Spiderman think it's  worth being in." And there's absolutely no better illustration of what theater and acting is supposed to be than seeing an actor playing a role where you barely recognize him from what he did before.

Offline frankwall

• First timers
    • View Profile
Maybe we should define "Intelligence" first...I think there is a huge diffrence between knowing some things and being intelligent,.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
And there's absolutely no better illustration of what theater and acting is supposed to be than seeing an actor playing a role where you barely recognize him from what he did before.

Now if Sir Laurence Olivier played Spiderman or Darth Vader, you'd have a point! Hope your daughter enjoys the trip.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Well, the assumption is that Kings have more interesting lives - for the same reasons that people today read tabloids or watch reality tv about celebrities. 

Some people don't read the tabloids, and could care less if the British still have a class of individuals paid by the public to play dress-up as kings, queens, princes, and princesses.  If they only had regal comportment. 

I agree that "life" can be somewhat mundane, but there have been many TV shows, sitcoms, and movies about the average Joe... taken to the extreme.

One of my favorite fables/short stories is: "La camicia dell'uomo contento" The Happy Man's Shirt by Italo Calvino.  Not to give away the punch line, but true happyness wasn't found among royalty.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Not to give away the punch line, but true happyness wasn't found among royalty.

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown" Shakespeare, Henry IV part 2. Just a few hundred years before Calvino.

But until Cromwell, kings certainly had a more interesting life than the average peasant. Films about modern royalty suggest that they have rather dull lives, beset by speech impediments and family rows in private  and the need to associate with dreary political scumbags in public, but if you want a tale of war or political intrigue you could do worse than Shakespeare's histories.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums