The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: 9,271.66665 jigawatts Marty, did I do the math right?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Ryan Mercer

• View Profile
    • Ryan's Thoughts
A few years ago I saw an article about electric DeLoreans being designed and decided to do some math

newbielink:http://www.ryanmercer.com/blog/2011/10/24/927166665-jigawatts-marty.html [nonactive]

Mind you, I've never taken a physics class and my math was limited to first year Algebra in high school... well I had reason to reference this blog post today and I thought... hmmm man I sure hope I did the mat right since it's been up for a couple of years now and gets semi-regular traffic from google. That being said, I'd really appreciate if one of you would take a look at my math and see if I did it correct (I document the math on the blog post)... basically using E=MC^2 I came to the conclusion that 1 can of beer would come out to be 9,271.66665 jigawatts

I forgot to document the weight of a can of beer (excluding the aluminum) but I based it on an actual can of beer. If my math was correct you could spit it out by reversing it. I guess, if one of you could just do my math in reverse and see if what comes out sounds right for the weight of the liquid in a can of beer I'd sure appreciate it. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly edit the blog post and mention contribution from whoever can show me I'm wrong fist (backlink to wherever or just your username or whatever!!! )
« Last Edit: 05/05/2014 13:43:40 by Ryan Mercer »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: 9,271.66665 jigawatts Marty, did I do the math right?
« Reply #1 on: 05/05/2014 13:42:33 »
I don't even need to look at your blog.
it's wrong unless "jiga"
 is a very strange duration of time.

Offline Ryan Mercer

• View Profile
    • Ryan's Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: 05/05/2014 13:46:20 »
I don't even need to look at your blog.
it's wrong unless "jiga"
 is a very strange duration of time.

Haha I was just using what was in the script. I actually list in joules, foot-pounds, kilotons of TNT, megatons of TNT, BTU and kwh

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 05/05/2014 13:46:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums