The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is taking the stairs the best form of exercise?  (Read 10428 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is taking the stairs the best form of exercise?
« Reply #25 on: 31/05/2014 19:26:46 »
I suppose if you spend 10,000 hours sweating in a gym, and hate every moment of it, you might not ever get that time back. 

However, there may be many beneficial psychological aspects of exercise, and I do enjoy getting outside and riding my bicycle...  at least in the sunshine.  Plus it can be relaxing.

There is the old adage, "if you don't use it, you'll loose it".

If I ever reach the ripe old age of 90 (assuming I don't get smacked by a car before then), I'd rather be the 90 yr old that is independent, and can get out and walk a few miles a day, perhaps climb an apple tree, rather than the 90 yr old that is bed ridden, and needs assistance to transfer into a wheelchair to get to the bathroom.

Lack of exercise is a risk factor for both cardiovascular diseases, as well as Type II diabetes, both of which I could do without.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06/02/2016 08:04:30 »
Quote from: Caleb
this morning I went up to 8 to 12 steps him quite often without taking a breath. I never get terribly out of breath, but I really do think that this increases the workout that I get.
The podcast below (12 minutes) is by a researcher who discovered that exposing your body to a slightly hypoxic environment can improve the resilience of your body to later exposure to hypoxia.

He gives the somewhat surprising example that putting a tourniquet on your arm sends out factors throughout your body that provides some resilience to heart attacks.

See: http://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pglxGLgZB7?play=true

Warning: Do not try try dangerous activities at home in an attempt to improve your safety! 

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06/02/2016 08:38:36 »
Surely we've known about hypoxia adaptation for a long time? Don't mountaineers spend time acclimatising, and athletes go for altitude training? Sherpas make a living from it!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 06/02/2016 08:38:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums