The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are electrons?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
What are electrons?
« on: 27/05/2014 18:44:38 »
         What Is an electron?

Science has a pretty firm grip on the basic nature and innermost workings of protons and neutrons.  Discovering that these particles are made up of smaller particles called quarks, subquarks and so on and so forth. But the electron, one of the 3 major parts of all matter still remains an enigma for the most part.

What is an electron?  Better yet whats inside an electron?  As far as I know, no colliers have ever smashed together electrons to see whats inside.  I postulate that perhaps electrons are completely made up of light sense electrons have the inherent ability to emit light when moving to a lower energy state and for the reason that electrons have wave particle duality like light does sort of. ???

I would like to also note the principle of "pair production" which state that there is indeed a firm connection between light and electrons.  But pair production doesn't really go into detail about how light is able to "some how" ball up to form an electron and anti electron (positron).

But how can you prove whats inside?  Is it possible to devise some kind of experiment to look into the inner workings of electrons?  Perhaps a new specialized collier or microscope?  Maybe something a bit simpler, What do you guys think.
« Last Edit: 29/05/2014 09:17:21 by ScientificSorcerer »

Online chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What are electrons?
« Reply #1 on: 27/05/2014 19:24:32 »
Unfortunately I cannot give any answer of what an electron is other than "an electron." This does not mean that we don't have an understanding of electrons on the same level as protons and neutrons, it just isn't made of smaller particles (ie it is an elementary particle, which protons and neutrons are not, being made of quarks). A neutron (in a nucleus, or free) can decompose into a proton and an electron and a neutrino, so protons, neutrons and electrons are made of the same "stuff" whatever that may be.

I don't think an electron could be made of light, as it has a charge, where light does not. That light can turn into pairs electrons and positrons is not that special--any particle and its antiparticle can, in theory, be generated from light under the right circumstances. Energy and matter are inter-convertible...

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2014 12:06:33 »
I split this thread since it started to veer deeply into New Theories territory.  If you want to discuss mainstream theory about what electrons are, please do so here.  For more speculative theories, please see the other thread, now in the New Theories section.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 02/06/2014 12:06:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums