The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you boost your memory?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Can you boost your memory?
« on: 03/06/2014 23:30:01 »
Can computer games boost memory? Are there tricks to help people with ADHD or dyslexia? And what does anxiety do to your memory capacity?
Read a transcript of the interview by clicking here
or Listen to it now or [download as MP3]
« Last Edit: 03/06/2014 23:30:01 by _system »

Offline Caleb

• View Profile
Re: Can you boost your memory?
« Reply #1 on: 06/06/2014 17:42:22 »
This is one of my favorite subjects with clients -- so this is a handout I give them. Try it -- it may prove very helpful for you. Especially the first technique, perhaps, how to remember 10 things in order using the song: "This old man, he played one." I sure wish I had learned these techniques before hitting high school. I routinely run through that 100 peg words below in trying to go to sleep at night. Also, it's useful waiting in lines to go through them, and I see how quickly I can go through them.

Presentation of Three memory techniques

There is a Russian proverb that says, "Being absent minded means looking for the horse you are riding!" But while we can laugh at such a joke, many of us are concerned about our memory. Is it early senility that makes us forget so many things? Is it the stress in our lives? Are we destined to develop a worsening memory as we grow older?

For example, in Toastmasters yesterday I was given 10 things by the members there: ground beef, tomatoes, mozzarella soup, bell peppers, butter, milk, syrup, mascara, sparrow does, and Fruit loops.

Use the following song to help you to learn to associate the items which make up the song ("thumb", "shoe", etc) with things you want to remember and practice this technique often.

So for the first item, 1, I pictured burning my thumb on a skillet with ground around.
For item 2, I pictured walking in shoes made of tomatoes.
For 3, I pictured my friend standing in a tree, her last name is Mott.
For 4, I pictured closing a door on bell peppers that were making crunching sounds.
For 5, I pictured several bees trapped in butter.
For 6, I pictured sticks splashing milk.
For 7, I pictured these angels putting syrup when the paying cakes.
For 8, I pictured a gate with a mask on it, with mascara.
For 9, I pictured a asparagus and a jug with someone pouring wine on top of it.
For 10, I pictured a hen with Fruit Loops cereal around its neck.

I then easily told her items in order, and after that I said the even-numbered items from ten to two (bananas, peach, carrots, etc.), and the odd-numbered items from one to nine (milk, sugar, tea, and so on) and could tell her any combination of the items.

For these techniques, practice, practice, practice. And the more real you can make the associations (colorful, noisy, strange, etc.), the more effective the associations will be.

This method also lets you be aware of what item is missing  (e.g., number 9—what did I picture goes with wine?).

You can also combine this method with other methods, such as the following pegword system or the “Method of Places,” apparently made famous because a famous poet was able to remember who lay dead under the rubble of an earthquake in Greece by bringing to his mind his view of where the people had been sitting. (He left the hall just before the earthquake struck and people did not know where their deceased relatives, etc., were, but he was able to accurately point out their dead bodies.)

A great book on memory is “Moon-Walking with Einstein,” by an American journalist who reported on an American memory event and then won it the next year.

The following technique has been around for over 150 years and it is described in a variety of places, including in Harry Lorayne's “How to develop a super power memory,” by Harry Lorayne, Fell Publishers; 1990.) 
 This is probably impractical for most people, but I found it fun to learn the 100 "pegwords" and now can associate them with many different objects. I also use it to help me fall asleep at night at times. (I practice saying it to myself in grocery store lines, etc.)

1.T,D         2. N      3. M.      4. R      5. L
6. J,sh,ch,dg      7. K,c,g   8. F,v      9. P,b      0. Z,s   

1. The sound for 1 will always be T or D. The letter T has one downstroke.
2. The sound for 2 will always be N. A typewritten n has two downstrokes.
3. The sound for 3 is M. A typewritten m has three downstrokes.
4. The sound for 4 is R. Four ends in the letter R.
5. The sound for 5 is L. The roman numeral for 50 is L. If you hold your left hand up (with five fingers) and stick your thumb out, it will look like a five.
6. 6 will always be a J, ch, sh, soft g, etc. a 6 almost looks like a J turned around.
7. Seven will be a K, hard c, hard g. The number seven can be used to form a K, with one seven up and one down.
8. The sound for 8 will be f  or v. A hand written f and a figure 8 will both have two loops, one above the other.
9. The sound for 9 is P or B. The number 9 turned around is a P.
0. The sound for zero is an S or a Z, the first sound of "zero."

Other rules -- vowels don't count, and W's don't count. (Hence, Mower is 34, Rower is 44.)
 These are the pegwords:
1 .  Tie   2.Noah      3.Ma      4. Rye      5. Law
6.   Shoe   7. Cow      8. Ivy      9. Bee      10. Toes
11. Tot      12. Tin      13. Tomb   14. Tire   15. Towel
16. Dish   17.Tack      18. Dove   19. Tub      20. Nose
21. Net      22. Nun      23. Name   24. Nero   25. Nail
26. Notch   27. Neck   28. Knife   29. Knob   30. Mouse
31. Mat      32 Moon      33. Mummy   34. Mower   35. Mule
36. Match    37. Mug      38. Movie   39. Mop      40 Rose
41. Rod      42. Rain   43. Ram      44. Rower   45. Roll
46. Roach   47. Rock   48. Roof   49. Rope   50. Lace
51. Lot      52. Lion   53. Loom   54. Lure    55. Lilly
56. Leech   57. Log      58. Lava   59. Lip      60. Cheese
61. Sheet   62. Chain   63. Chum   64. Cherry   65. Jail
66. Choo-choo    67. Chalk   68 Chef      69. Ship   70. Case
71. Cot      72. Coin   73. Comb   74. Car      75. Coal
76. Cage   77. Coke   78.Cave      79. Cob      80. Fez
81. Fit      82. Phone   83. Foam   84. Fur      85. File
86. Fish   87. Fog      88. Fife   89. Fob      90. Bus
91. Bat      92. Bone   93. Bum      94. Bear   95. Bell
96. Beach   97. Book   98. Puff   99. Pipe   100. Disease

Another set of Memory technique is that of Method of Places – one of the oldest ways of remembering things, picturing items at places in your home (e.g.), and by walking through your home (or elsewhere), being able to recall them in order. In our house I would line up the items in this way:
1.  Mailbox
2.  Walkway.
3.  Front door.
4.  Living room.
5.  Dining room.
6.  Downstairs bathroom.
7.  Kitchen near stove.
8.  Garage.
9.  Stairs.
10.  Landing.
11.  Computer room.
12.  Grandmas room.
13.  Al's room.
14.  Our room.
15.  Our bathroom.
16.  Al's bathroom.
17.  Camping room.
18.  Loft area.

By associating different ideas, topics, etc., with different portions of a home, I can mentally walk through our home, and summon up the things I’m trying to remember.  In the Middle Ages, this was widely practiced in Italy with people visiting very complex homes to learn how to remember many different items.  (The above technique stems from Greece, with a famous poet being able to say where people were buried where under rubble that had been caused by an earthquake. He had left the dinner just before the earthquake struck, but he was able to remember by location where the various people were buried in this help the relatives recover their bodies.) Why not try it with your own home or with a home you are familiar with?

Associate these areas with the items, activities, etc., you want to remember in as vivid a fashion as possible. 

And practice, practice, practice!

Offline susiesum

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/06/2014 21:52:07 »
Can computer games boost memory? Are there tricks to help people with ADHD or dyslexia? And what does anxiety do to your memory capacity?
  newbielink: [nonactive]
newbielink: [nonactive]
or newbielink:javascript:; [nonactive] or newbielink: [nonactive]

Wow, I learn so much today about memory boosting. I cannot thank you enough.
« Last Edit: 13/06/2014 16:03:47 by susiesum »

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2014 17:30:39 »
Is rapid (and probably temporary) memorisation of lists of random words such a great skill? If you need to learn something that way in education, you're using a terrible learning method that renders everything dull.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2014 17:30:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums