The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do our brains love colour?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Do our brains love colour?
« on: 11/06/2014 13:30:01 »
Michaela Martinelli asked the Naked Scientists:

My daughter Chiara is currently in Grade 6 at Tyger Valley College in Pretoria, and is required to participate in a Science Expo this year.  The children were allowed to present an experiment or present a science related project.  

Chiara's chosen topic is 'Do our brains love colour?'  She chose this subject after attending a study/learning course through Neuro-Link last year.  It was determined during this course that Chiara is right brained and should learn by using mind maps; colour and pictures.

As part of the project she is required to provide information as to the aim; hypothesis; results etc of her project and is required to provide a graph of her findings (i.e that we do learn better when we study in colour and with pictures).  I was wondering if there was any information you could provide or a list of websites which we could visit to assist with her gathering information and particular any statistics which we could use.  

I was also wondering where we could find a model of a brain which we could perhaps have on her project table.

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I listen to your show often on Radio 702.

Kind regards
Michaela Martinelli

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 11/06/2014 13:30:01 by _system »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: Do our brains love colour?
« Reply #1 on: 16/06/2014 19:14:39 »
Wow, that's a pretty good subject to ask:)

Wish I knew? Maybe compare people having color blindness to those having normal color perception would be a (partial) answer? I don't even know how such a experiment should be constructed I'm afraid. It's also so that I think it has to do with a lot of different factors, from the way your brain handles color, and discern facts ignoring it, to upbringing (social factors) and probably a lot more.

I know that the Swedish air force use a test in where they involve the color of the object as one thing defining how you should answer, as a way of testing the brains ability to synthesize new information, as you just before got instructed in the way the colors would define each object importance to the test.

Complicated subject I think. It should be reasonable to think that the less colors the less distracted one should be?

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Do our brains love colour?
« Reply #1 on: 16/06/2014 19:14:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums