The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: An unethical syphilis treatment  (Read 1841 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
An unethical syphilis treatment
« on: 15/06/2014 16:06:08 »
Prior to the development of modern treatments sex with a virgin was considered a "good" way to get rid of various STD,s with the light of modern knowledge of bacteriophages and antibodies could this of had any effect.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: An unethical syphilis treatment
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2014 16:09:39 »
No.

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/06/2014 11:21:28 »
A variant of this ugly theory reportedly persists in some parts of Africa, and is promoting the spread of AIDS.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/06/2014 20:00:59 »
what got me thinking along this line was the history of the infamous countess Elizabeth Bathory who is reputed to have killed 650 young girls to drink or bathe in their blood.
Research has recently shown infusion with young blood has a rejuvenating effect so presumably the countess was onto something.
Religious people talk of being washed in the blood of the lamb so the idea is of great antiquity it would seem that what at first are crazy ideas must have some small basis in fact could it be that the vaginal fluids of young women could have some antibiotic effect.

I realise that pondering on his subject may be considered unethical and would in not be offend if you remove it from the record. 
« Last Edit: 17/06/2014 01:09:21 by syhprum »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/06/2014 01:37:09 »
If you don't have an STD, and have intimate relations with a person that has never had sex, then in general you won't acquire an STD.  Of course there are some diseases that may be transmitted at birth, or perhaps acquired using other methods including blood transfusions and shared needles.

Some diseases such as rabies are treated with antibody infusions.  So, rather than an infusion of blood from somebody that has never had rabies, one would be better off with a blood infusion from someone that has had the disease and survived (of course with proper blood typing).

So, in order to acquire immunity, one should probably have relations with the prostitute that has had hundreds, or thousands of partners.  Except that there apparently is little natural immunity to syphilis, and it should be treated as a systemic disease, rather than a local disease (chancre).  And, of course, there are many STDs that could be acquired.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2014 21:04:43 »
While the idea of a blood transfusion from someone who had been exposed to a disease and recovered has some (dubious) value, the OP isn't talking about blood or a transfusion.
Also as pointed out, a virgin would be unlikely to have antibodies to the microorganisms that cause sexually transmitted diseases.
So, in essence, as far as I can tell, I stand by my earlier opinion.
No.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2014 13:29:51 »
Far be it for me to recommend this form of treatment but this article may be of interest.

http://www.nature.com/news/vaginal-microbe-yields-novel-antibiotic-1.15900

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2014 13:29:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums