The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What am I seeing when I close my eyes?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What am I seeing when I close my eyes?
« on: 21/06/2014 01:30:01 »
Michael Cox  asked the Naked Scientists:

Before I go to sleep and am lying in bed in a dark bedroom, eyes open or closed (it doesn't make a difference) I can see' images in my mind' which look similar to thermal imaging of single cells. Sometimes it takes a certain amount of concentration to do this, sometimes not. The images/colours are predominantly red, yellow and green, but I can also see many other shades and colours. My presumption is, somehow I am seeing cellular thermal images of my brain/retina or neural network. The colours are extremely vivid and in 3D (in other words they have depth of field) Also the images are not constant but randomly change. Please ask Chris to assist me to elicit exactly what I am  seeing and how. When I see them, I am not in a hypnogogic state, just deeply relaxed. (I'm not on drugs/psychotropic or otherwise, nor have any history of mental illness).

Thanking you in advance,
Michael Cox (South Africa)

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 21/06/2014 01:30:01 by _system »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What am I seeing when I close my eyes?
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2014 01:49:28 »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2014 12:00:50 »
The signals used in most nerves are "digital" in nature (ON and OFF) and are quite robust, needing a minimum signal to activate them.

However, the nerves in the retina operate in a very power-hungry "analogue" mode, trying to pick up as many photons as possible. Perhaps when the lights go out, your retina is trying to detect random noise?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2014 12:00:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length