The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do you think of my quantum power idea?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
What do you think of my quantum power idea?
« on: 01/07/2014 11:10:54 »
Ok I've been doing some research into the principles of quantum physics until I came up with an amazing Idea! I don't know yet if this is at all possible but at the very least it will make for an interesting read.

My Idea starts out with "quantum entanglement of electrons" this mean that, somehow 2 electrons can become "magically connected" in a very mysterious way.  Anyway it's commonly known that when 2 electrons are entangled their spins become polarized in 2 ways, spin up and spin down. When one electron spins one way the other electron MUST spin the opposite way do to this "magical connection".

(so far pretty basic quantum physics)

If you flip one entangled electron, you automatically flip the other electron in the pair. (as above so below) one electron spins up while the other spins down.

quantum entanglement of electrons is all about this "magic spin effect" that electrons have.
It's this effect that I want to capitalize on.

Magnetism is also a "quantum effect" believe it or not, magnets also rely on electron spin, a magnet is made when the spins of all the electrons in a halfshell atom are aligned.

so what if you got a whole bunch of entangled electrons and spit them up, then replaced 2 magnet's valence electrons with quantum entangled electrons in a way that the 2 magnet's electrons entangled with one another. next, flip the polarity of 1 magnet with a strong magnetic field. by flipping the polarity of one magnet you should be able to automatically flip the polarity of the other magnet right?

So this would mean that you could flip the poles of one magnet and automatically flip the poles of another magnet without even touching it or even getting near it. You could repeatedly flip the poles of one magnet by flipping it's polarity with a strong alternating electro-magnet and by doing so you could create some kind of quantum Alternating permanent magnet. By wrapping the magnet with a coil of wire you could draw power from it through induction. Thus you get quantum wireless power!

But If you don't understand what I mean then take a look at the picture above representing 2 electrons in an entangled state, each electron is like a tiny magnet, many electrons align together in-order to make a permanent magnet.

My Idea is to get 2 magnets and replace their electrons with quantum entangled electrons inorder to make 2 quantum entangled magnets.

By flipping the polarity of one magnet (flipping all of the electrons in the magnet) you should automatically flip the polarity of the other magnet instantly.

I hope someone out there understands what I mean and comments. you would be surprised how hard it is to find someone who understands this kind of stuff enough to talk about it  :P
« Last Edit: 08/07/2014 11:28:58 by Georgia »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum power?
« Reply #1 on: 01/07/2014 12:46:36 »
Measurement causes an irreversible loss of entanglement, so once you force one magnet into a certain state, and the other assumes the corresponding state, you couldn't flip it back.

Moreover, you don't get out of entanglement any more than you put in.  So if you did just use the "flip once" trick, you'd have to prepare 2 magnets in 2 coils, and prepare each in both entangled states.  This means you'd have to put the energy in already associated with both states, so making a measurement wouldn't gain you anything back that you didn't already put in.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/07/2014 14:14:32 »
Measurement causes an irreversible loss of entanglement, so once you force one magnet into a certain state, and the other assumes the corresponding state, you couldn't flip it back.
Not to mention that when particles interact the entanglement becomes lost. Thus an electron in a multi-electron atom cannot be entangled with other electrons.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2014 21:47:15 »
JP I know that I can't get more energy out then I put in, that's why it takes energy to flip the polarity of one of the magnets by doing so you change the polarity of the other magnet through induction electricity is induced into a nearby wire via the change in the magnetic field of the magnet. I understand that this connection would be quite fragile and you may only be able to do a "flip ones trick".
But a flip ones trick is all that's needed to prove this concept!

Well think of this.

A battery is connected to a circuit the electrons flow out of the negative terminal and pass through a YBCO superconducting disc where the electrons are briefly quantum entangled then the electrons come out of the superconductor and back to ordinary wires as the electrons do so the entangled state is broken up BUT NOT LOST When the electron's "cooper pairs" break up then it is ASSUMED that entanglement is lost but it's not you just cant keep track of the 2 electrons after they have been split, making it impossible to measure weather or not the 2 electrons are still entangled.

To prove that the electrons are still entangled after the cooper pair is broken you can split the electrons in a Y wire junction causing the electron flow to be split up 50-50 down the 2 wires. at the end of the 2 wires there is 2 capacitors designed to collect the electrons for measurement. Both capacitors are connected to positive thus completing the circuit.

-||- this means capacitor

V this means that you split the wire

YBCO this means superconductor

- negative terminal of battery
9V  this means battery
+ positive terminal of battery
                                                             Circuit Diagram
                                                           /--||---\/---||--\
                                                           \          |          /
                                                             \     YBCO     /
                                                               \      |      /
                                                                 \    -    /
                                                                   \ 9v /
                                                                      +

in the end 50% of the electrons will be contained in each capacitor, and there will be a 50% chance that  broken cooper pairs will split down the Y junction and the 2 electrons be separated and stored in the 2 capacitors.

so the 2 capacitors would be 50% entangled with each-other and 50% entangled with themselves, you can then positively ionize 2 magnets and discharge the negative terminal of the capacitors onto the posivily ionized magnets thus transferring the entangled electrons into the magnets thus entangling the 2 magnets by 50%
« Last Edit: 07/07/2014 21:58:59 by ScientificSorcerer »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2014 22:07:45 »
JP I know that I can't get more energy out then I put in, that's why it takes energy to flip the polarity of one of the magnets by doing so you change the polarity of the other magnet through induction electricity is induced into a nearby wire via the change in the magnetic field of the magnet. I understand that this connection would be quite fragile and you may only be able to do a "flip ones trick".
But a flip ones trick is all that's needed to prove this concept!

It would be nice if entanglement worked this way, but it doesn't.  You can't force the other magnet to flip by forcing its entangled partner to flip.  Entanglement doesn't give a causal link between two objects, it only means that your measurements of them will be correlated.  As soon as I try to modify one magnet by forcing it into a particular state, I break the entanglement.

• View Profile
Re: What do you think of my quantum power idea?
« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2014 07:23:07 »
JP

OK I see your prospective. You know that what I'm talking about is simply a "non local" effect simply put. on the smallest scales you can imagine the 2 magnets as 2 iron atoms, these 2 atoms share a "non local" connection because these 2 atoms "share cooper pair parts" which have been proven to have non local effects.

Basically scientists have been able to split up cooper pairs in superconductors with a superconducting (Y) junction, then they tested for non locality and found it! in other words they split up the electrons and found that they were still entangled.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2009/oct/14/entangled-electrons-do-the-splits

There is a full article you should read it.

the experiment that the scientists did to prove that the electrons were in-fact entangled after they split up the pair is somewhat simple. they measured the spin of one electron and found that it effected the spin of the other electron, they influenced the spin of one electron with a magnetic field and found that doing that caused the other electron in the pair to be effected.

They also proved that the effect was a non-local effect by using a magnetic field to destroy the superconducting state (the source of entanglement)

so on recap this experiment proves that you can indeed split cooper pairs and be able to effect one electron's spin by influencing the other with magnetic fields via a non-local quantum connection.

thus giving us a solid proof of concept. these guys basically did the experiment for us and found that it works!
« Last Edit: 09/07/2014 07:28:15 by ScientificSorcerer »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2014 14:24:04 »
No, they didn't.  The article talks about a "non-local correlation" which is exactly what I was saying.  The results of experiments will be correlated as a result of entanglement, but it's not a causal link by which you can force the other particle to flip its spin.

Offline burning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/07/2014 14:51:48 »
I agree with JP. The article does not describe what you want for your quantum power idea, which would be some sort of persistent entanglement. Entanglement as it is theorized and has ever been observed only lasts until the first measurement is made.

Particle A and B start in an entangled state, but we know nothing else about them. We measure particle A, and the entanglement determines what the result must be if we perform the same measurement on particle B. However, if we do something else to particle A after the first measurement, it will have no effect on particle B.

The article describes those initial measurements working when the particles are the two electrons in a Cooper pair. It does not describe changing the state of the first electron after measuring its state initially.

An experiment where manipulations of one particle after an initial measurement managed to change the state of a distant entangle particle would receive both far more hoopla and far more skepticism than shown in that article because it would run completely counter to the predictions of quantum mechanics.

Offline allan marsh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/07/2014 15:21:01 »
Entanglement at the same time? Or do you mean both at now,  or one in the future, and one in the past.
Is the observation now or was it then?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 09/07/2014 15:21:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums