The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does only one side of my nose run when I have a cold?  (Read 21221 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Angelos Tsiakrilis asked the Naked Scientists:

Short question: how come, when i have a cold, i sometimes have only one side of my nose 'running' (sorry, dutch expression, don't know how you say it in english)?

Really love your show. Keep it up!
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 03/07/2014 03:30:01 by _system »

Offline Atomic-S

• View Profile
Re: Why does only one side of my nose run when I have a cold?
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/2014 05:48:12 »
Well, if you have a cold, it is the cold side of the nose that would run, not the hot side.

Offline healthresearch

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/07/2014 17:10:11 »
During cold, the nasal mucous layer get congested and blocks the nose; it can occur in one side more than in another. I've noticed I can "control" this by changing the sleeping position from the left to right...I've also noticed, when I have cold, immediately after sneezing, my nose is quite open and I can push the mucus out with an ease...

Offline Allenrain

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2014 21:41:59 »
Many people will feel that only one side of their nose is the problematic side. Often, this is due to some variation of the structure of the nose on the inside, such as a septal deviation. The septum is the cartilage and bone that make up the middle part of the nose, and it is supposed to run straight down the middle. Unfortunately, this is often not the case. Only a small amount of trauma when you are young, or a larger trauma as you grow, can cause the septum to deviate to one side or the other (a deviated septum). There is no real cure for this except for surgery. The fortunate fact is that the surgery is fairly simple, and that people do recover from it quickly in general. It can be performed by a head and neck surgeon, also known as an otolaryngologist or Ear-Nose and Throat surgeon. There are other things that can cause unilateral nasal congestion as well, however, and so you should discuss this with your doctor. It could be that the swelling of the nasal mucosa associated with your cold is enough to block off the left side of your nose, but please speak to your doctor.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2014 21:41:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length