The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Where is the best place to put food in the microwave?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Ed Woodworth asked the Naked Scientists:

I have had a question about using a microwave for heating different items. With the rotating platform would it be better to place the item you are heating right in the middle of the spin, or off to one side of the center so the object passes front to back and side to side in the path of the "waves"?

Thank you for your show, I have downloaded and listened to just about everyone of them. I have use short snippets in my classroom. It is good for high school students to know there is more to iPods than music.

I hail from Livermore California

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 08/07/2014 17:30:02 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the best place to put food in the microwave?
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2014 17:56:34 »
It is probably a bit less strenuous on the turn table to put the dish in the middle.

The whole microwave should get cooking, but it isn't always uniform.  If any part of the dish crosses the middle, then that part will get the same exposure, while other parts of the dish will get varying exposure.  But, I doubt it will make much difference.

The turn table in my microwave broke a while ago, and the rest of the microwave still seems to work just fine.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Where is the best place to put food in the microwave?
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2014 17:56:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums