The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I identify the products I am allergic to?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Clare Tinker asked the Naked Scientists:

Good Day.  Could you please offer advice on a very frustrating problem and cannot, by myself, seem to find answers.  After allergy tests I have just recently been told I have an allergy to formaldehyde/formalin.  It's good to know what the allergy is but I do not know how to find the source of this allergy.  I understand formalin is used in cosmetics, toiletries, insecticides and a whole host of other products.  I have stopped using brand name shampoo, brand name moisturizer, deodorant and wear gloves when handling insecticide (for the ants) and washing up liquid.

Could you please offer any advice as to how I can identify the product(s) which are affecting me?  I have a very severe rash.  I am 68 years of age and have been fortunate to have had a good English complexion and good skin all my life.  I have never, ever had an allergic reaction to anything before.

Clare

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 09/07/2014 00:30:02 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How can I identify the products I am allergic to?
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2014 10:37:48 »
Don't eat the ants...  oh, that is formic acid, not formaldehyde.

Most household chemicals should have a list of ingredients on them.  If not, check to see if they have an MSDS sheet, which always begins with a list of ingredients.  You can usually find the MSDS on the internet with a quick search.

If you have cleared up your rash, then after double checking the ingredient list of your household chemicals, slowly add the important products back into your routine, one or two at a time.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2014 19:01:22 »
There's another thing you need to know about.
Since formaldehyde is a gas it's easily lost from products so they sometimes add a chemical which decomposes slowly and makes formaldehyde.
You need to keep an eye out for those too.
There are some here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde_releaser

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 09/07/2014 19:01:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums