The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why aren't there tesla chargers?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
Why aren't there tesla chargers?
« on: 09/07/2014 08:29:04 »
A wireless power charger, for infinite power to your portable devices as if they were plugged in to the wall. Basically you make a small Tesla coil and plug it into the wall.

next you get a "pan cake" tesla coil in which both the primary and secondary coils are flat as well as the top load. this "tesla pancake" is your receiver, it neeeds to be attached somewhere on your device (such as the back of your laptop's computer screen or on the back of your cell phone/ tablet

this is what it would look like.

layer 1 would be a piece of aluminum foil and act like a top load

layer 2 would be the Tesla coil's secondary a pancake shaped coil.

layer 3 would be an insulator layer like plastic

layer 4 would be the Tesla coil's primary

This flat layered Tesla coil would be on the back of your cellphone, laptop or whatever it could potentially be as thin as a card. and it would receive power from the Tesla coil which is plugged in to a near by wall via scalar waves (longitudinal electromagnetic waves).

you would then have a "room sized" power field which would transmit wireless power directly to your device's battery and charge it.

This concept is actually very old, it's just a simple application for Tesla's technology. I'm curious as to why this has never been done before, nobody has ever used tesla coil technology to power laptops and cell phones.

look at this video.
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7ltI/samsung-galaxy-s5-wall-huggers

wouldn't it be nice to walk into your house and automatically your phone starts charging and your laptop too, never having to plug them in "ever again!". This technology can also be used for electric cars, in which your car automatically gets power when you park it near your tesla coil.

I think it would revolutionary.

don't believe that it could work? look at this video of a tesla powered boat.

If that boat can recieve power from that distance then what makes a cellphone any different.

[MOD EDIT- please phrase subjects as questions in line with AUP]
« Last Edit: 10/07/2014 09:46:20 by Georgia »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA CHARGER!
« Reply #1 on: 09/07/2014 18:49:04 »
as if they were plugged in to the wall
The impedance of copper wires is under 0.1 Ohm. Free-space transfer has a significantly higher impedance, which limits the charging rate, and reduces transfer efficiency.

One thing that is like being plugged into the wall is that the charger has a limited range - efficiency drops significantly when the range is greater than the diameter of the transmitter coil. This means that if you want more flexibility in the location of the receiving device, then the transmitter must be larger, more expensive, less portable and harder to install.

for infinite power to your portable devices

That is fine if you have infinite money to pay for the infinite power, and can afford to wait for an infinite time for your portable device to recharge.

But seriously, plugs cost money, cords get lost, and waterproof devices don't work well when they have plugs for charging or data transfer. So wireless charging has some advantages, but infinite power is not one of them.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why aren't there tesla chargers?
« Reply #2 on: 10/07/2014 18:01:26 »
Cordless chargers are very useful for implanted devices such as pacemakers and cochlea implants but generally speaking a wired connection will always work better if practicable.
I believe some use has been made of charging coils for busses at bus stops but they are a rather special case.

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2014 22:02:39 »
I understand that the wireless system might have some problems, some of which you have mentioned.
-It has limited range (about the size of an average room at best)
-It doesn't have very efficient energy transfer >80%

I'm not really concerned with limited range, as long as I have the transmitter in resonance with the receiver then low powered range would have at least a 20 foot radius for a small cheap Tesla coil with a rather large pancake coil receiver.  You also have to realize that cellphones, laptops and tablets charge via low power input around 5-10 volts and less then 1 amp so even if the transfer isn't very efficient then it would only waste about the energy of a small light bulb <5 watts. It's wasteful yes but I don't think the wasted energy is a big deal considering that we are dealing with low power to begin with. If your concerned with wasted power then you should look at how much power your air conditioner wastes.

Most people don't concern themselves with how much power their cellphone uses (unlike their cars). You could market this product and conveniently leave out the part about efficiency and most of your customers would be non the wiser. 

it's like speakers they waste lots of power making loud music but that doesn't stop gangsters from using such a wasteful system in their cars.

I personally think that the benefits outweigh the problems (slightly) with this particular system.  I would willingly waste the power of a small light bulb for the convenience of never having to plug in my computer and cellphone, to have these things automatically charge on the table or in my pocket,

it's a futuristic concept you cannot deny and by marketing this you would put Tesla coils back into the public eye and further scientific research into the subject. Potentially making Tesla technology more efficient over time and more useful for various applications

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2014 22:02:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length