The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: body bacteria  (Read 1694 times)

Offline allan marsh

• View Profile
body bacteria
« on: 10/07/2014 11:00:46 »
My body I understand contains about a kilo of bacteria of various sorts, all doing there own thing.
some bacteria make chemicals that are good  and others bad for my body. This combination of bacteria must in total effect my whole body including my brain.
Has anyone worked out where it is the combined effect of these bacteria that IN PART is causing me to write this question
AND
Has anyone put forward the idea that it is the combined effect of the body's bacteria that creates LUST which brings about a bacteria exchange between two people kissing.
In other words "who is in control"

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: body bacteria
« Reply #1 on: 10/07/2014 20:42:29 »
It is a sobering thought that there are more bacteria cells in one's body than human cells...

As far as I know we are only just beginning to understand the many roles that bacteria play in (and on) our bodies (they aid in digestion and vitamin/co-factor synthesis, and protect us from other bacteria) and the complexity of the interaction between "us" and "them." I know that many of the "good" bacteria that live in us are in constant chemical communication with our immune systems. I don't know how much more communication there is between us, and on what sort of timescale it occurs. As far as I know there are very, very few bacteria in our brains/nervous systems, so I'm not sure how much interaction there is there, but I suspect what we discover over the next couple decades could change our understanding of "self" quite dramatically.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/07/2014 07:38:27 »
I would imagine that we'll learn much more about the role of bacteria, and perhaps viruses or other organisms and the body over the next few years. 

There are some theories that Clostridium Difficile may release chemicals associated with various mental disorders such as depression, or perhaps bipolar disease. 

There may also be an association between some bacteria and arterial plaques.

Yet, there are also many beneficial roles of gut bacteria.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/2014 12:45:01 »
There are some very strange viruses that alter a creatures mood such as those that make mice attracted to cats ! so that they can be eaten.
It is thought some even make humans take more risks than prudence would dictate.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/07/2014 12:59:19 »
There are some very strange viruses that alter a creatures mood such as those that make mice attracted to cats ! so that they can be eaten.
That sounds like toxoplasmosis , which is caused by a protozoan not a virus.

Offline allan marsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2014 19:09:23 »
My bacteria has just sent a message to my brain demanding sugar so that the yeast in me can make alcohol and they can get stoned!
Also they want a bigger body so there is more room for their families.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 11/07/2014 19:09:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums