The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why couldn't we have a handheld laser printer?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Expectant_Philosopher

• View Profile
Why couldn't we have a handheld laser printer?
« on: 12/07/2014 22:14:30 »
I tell you there have plenty of times where I could have used a handheld printer, but one didn't exist.  I really like the quality of a laser printer and kept hoping someone would come along with a handheld version. If I have the tech down right, the laser creates an electrostatic charge on the paper to which the toner sticks and that is heat sealed to the paper.  It seems to me that a roller type printing platten could be electrostatically charged and have a heat source to seal the ink at the point where the roller contacts the paper.  In one use the printer could be placed over an envelope and an address could be "stamped"/printed in conjunction with projected laser guidelines. In another use the printer could be drawn across the paper using the laser guidelines to print a whole sheet.  In still another use the printer could accept blank business card stock and automatically spit out a newly minted business card.  The printer could be programmed via any Smartphone or tablet.  The toner could be contained in disposable cartridges that would plug into the device. 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why couldn't we have a handheld laser printer?
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2014 22:28:42 »

Offline Expectant_Philosopher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2014 04:21:41 »
That's a great example for capabilities of projecting the guidelines, now to integrate that with the print mechanism.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2014 04:21:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums